DIY Cab IR via Class D bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Former Rogues, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Former Rogues

Former Rogues

Sep 22, 2016
    Oslo
    Howdy TBers,
    Maybe this is under the wrong section, but I am curious about making my own cab IRs.

I have the option to pick up a DK M900 V1 from a reliable musician in town at a good price. Aside from the M900 covering a huge amount of home studio and live gig responsibilities for me, I am curious about slaving the power section to make cabinet IRs. From my understanding, it should be as easy as routing my interface's monitor or headphone output into the M900's Power Amp In, and running either a sine wave or pink noise clip to take advantage of a clean Class D amp driving the speaker. I am looking to avoid power amp colouration as much as possible, because I will be making both bass cab and guitar cab IRs.

My questions, for anyone with IR making experience, are a) is it possible to slave the power section in such a way to make IRs, and b) is the M900 power amp transparent enough to make IRs that can work with tube amps (both preamp and power amp sections)?

In my home/apartment studio, I usually use tube amps with loadboxes and IRs for recording my band, and we are curious about making our own IRs of our own gear. Hence my inquiry.

Any info would be helpful.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Maybe I'm slow today but IR? Impulse Response?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. Former Rogues

Former Rogues

Sep 22, 2016
    Oslo
    Yes, impulse response.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Library's were a little scarce few years ago. Now pretty much every classic cab has been done for you.
    Before we just used basic 30 to 50 watt HiFi stereo for power. Just run computer sound out to the receiver. Total wattage needed is low. For guitar speakers they broke up at 15 to 20 watts if you wanted distortion in the sample. 15 bucks these days at a thrift store. Otherwise I used a 40 watt 1x12 fender reissue for open back samples. Swapped drivers and used normal 1/4 inch cable to effect return. Amp was clean even when most speakers farted out. It's feasible to use a class turd amp. Just use effect return to bypass pre amp

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    FFT sampling of speaker drivers. Plugin recreates response on playback. Full emulation of any speaker driver. Resolution was lower years ago due to processor power. But even with limited bands was still incredibly realistic. Better than earlier cab emulations using basic EQ and all pass filters to emulate speaker response/phase response. Now you get a exact sample. Resolution much higher with higher computer processor speeds
    Same with reverb or delay plugins. They have impulse response of famous theatres or concert halls. Or studio recording rooms. On playback pretty much perfect room emulations of famous locations. You can use already made response or sample your own

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Wasnex likes this.
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I have to say there are a lot of great studio quality IRs around. Some are actually created and certified by the actual cabinet makers. But if you have some unique cabinet or studio you could make your own.
    Sine sweep are best.
    And of course there are many VST plugins that will let you create and shape IRs

But for some free ideas See:
    IR Creation • HEAMUSIC
    Voxengo Deconvolver
    Impulse Response Deconvolution Tool Software - Deconvolver | Voxengo
    You can get a sine sweep from these, or Waves has one:
    IR Convolution Reverb Sweep File for Self-Capture | Downloads | Waves

7. Former Rogues

Former Rogues

Sep 22, 2016
    Oslo
    Cool. Thanks for the info.

I think I want to try out both a Sine sweep and Pink/White noise approaches. I have the amp, just need to find the time to dial things in.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021