Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY Cab recarpeting suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Feb 18, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    OK I have a Mesa 410 that I use for my cover gigs and it gets tossed around quite a bit. The tolex is totally torn up and looks yugly.

Except for a Fender BXR 410 all the cabs that I have owned have a carpet covering, which I prefer.

Has anyone on these boards ever 're-carpeted' their cab? If so, how did they do it and what kind of glue, carpet and method worked best?

*I'm even open to making it a wild looking carpet (berber, tiger/leopard stipes, Smurfs or...)

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    What about stripping all fo it off and painting it with bed liner? I know some around here have done that with success.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    you mean that spray-able stuff? Heard that is almost bullet-proof, that would work for my gigs.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I prefer carpet myself, holds up great with gigging, but the PA systems my band rents has big subs with that beliner stuff, and it appears indestructable. It makes the cabs heavier, though.

They just took the speakers and hardware out of the cabs and took them to a bedliner place, and they sprayed them there. I would imagine that would be a bit more expensive than rolling it yourself with WalMart paint, but the results will be better with a more durable product, if that's what you're after. Just FYI.

6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Get it upholstered. Think "early kustom." Any automotive restoration place could do that for you. Might cost a bit, but man, a Mesa with a Tuck'n'Roll? That'd be sweet.