1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY cabinet covers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Jun 12, 2014.

1. I keep my big cabs in the garage, so I don't have to shlep them in and out of the house. I like to keep covers on them, to keep dirt and spiderwebs off, but commercially available covers can be expensive. Anyone make their own? I'm thinking a tarp from the hardware store + scissors + duct tape, but if there's a better way to do it I'd be interested.

2. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    If it's mainly just to act as a dust cover maybe contractor sized heavy mil trash bags? Just a suggestion.

Something like these. You would have plenty of extras :D

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12615/Trash-Liners/58-x-62-95-Gallon-25-Mil-Black-Trash-Liners

3. If you have a sewing machine and know how to use it, or if you know somebody else that can use a sewing machine...it's not hard at all to sew up your own custom covers. Blue denim material works, though it's not really waterproof even if you spray it with Scotchguard. Vinyl material is available at the fabric stores, you need a decent sewing machine with the right needle. An old Singer will be heavy-duty enough to do the job, the newer plastic machines may not have enough guts. I've used two kinds of vinyl: the soft kind that's backed with a kind of thin fleece, and the heavier kind that's fabric-backed; the heavier kind is much more durable but harder to sew through thick seams.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    6mm poly film and black duct tape:

20140515_180937_zpsy4ygp6t1.

I've had some that lasted years.

coughingskunk likes this.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You can buy Cordura on eBay in many different weights and colors. I've talked to my local upholstery guy and if I did the pattern having him sew it up would not cost much at all. But then I talked to some sporting goods guys I know, who would do the pattern too for a very minimal upcharge. They are mainly sail makers and have killer CAD facilities, so a cab cover design might take them 5-10 minutes tops. As always, depends on your definition of 'pretty expensive' though...

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This came up when I was looking for a cover for my fEARful. This isn't mine, it is from ScabbeyRoad. I hope the link works, it is from greenboy's forums.

"Here's a picture of what can be done with a $5 moving quilt, a sewing machine and 45 minutes.
    (Full disclosure- It was an industrial machine at a friend's shop, he also had the machine to put carpet binding on the edges.)"

cover.

7. Here's two vinyl covers I sewed up myself. The first, larger one is soft vinyl, fleece-backed, covering a Peavey Databass. The other is heavy fabric-backed vinyl covering my Ampeg V4. Both are made of 3 pieces, one large piece covers the front, top, and back, then there are two side pieces. Edges are trimmed with cloth binding tape. covers 002 (864x1024). covers 007 (1024x765).

kcole4001 likes this.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Those came out nice!

9. Thanks!

The design is very simple, no CAD drawing required. Measure the height, width, and depth of the cab. Add 1/2 inch to provide some clearance. Add allowance for seams--if you use 3/8 inch seams, then add 3/4 inch. Cut the front/top/back piece, cut the side pieces. Cut openings where the handles are. Important: trim the handle openings before sewing the 3 pieces together. Then sew the sides on. Then trim the bottom edge. Done.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I make my own as well. I buy vinyl from a fabric store that is similar to tolex but thicker, like the type that Bill uses, and go at it with a sewing machine. You can make it inside out to get it to fit properly then turn it around. A cover goes a long way in protecting an amp, both when storing and transporting. I've also used plastic tarps that are intended for covering cars, motorcycles, campers, etc. instead of the vinyl. They do the job but the thicker vinyl protects the cab when it gets bashed.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I used to make mine out of heavy cardboard and duct tape. Think of a lightweight flight cab. Works better than you think.

12. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Nice job!

13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I'm with tkonbass. Heavy trash bags.
    You can use them on outdoor gigs when it starts to rain.
    I used them on a gig we had that had a complete overhead shelter
    but the rain was wind driven and soaking the back of my Eden 400.
    I HATE OUTDOOR GIGS.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I have a couple of old shower curtains in my van for those situations. It gets really windy here and I'm not a big fan of outdoor gigs either.

Not a fan of vinyl at all either. Danged allergies...Bill did a nice job on his though, for sure. for me this is one of those times where DIY didn't really pencil in, since I use a small cab and a padded Tuki cover wasn't that expensive by my standards.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014