DIY Cabinet Idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by devilock76, Feb 25, 2010.

1. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Been debating this for a while and now that my NOW cabinet situation is resolved I am looking at building the next step myself.

So I got an 8x8" design I want to build, so I have been just comparing speakers and came across these:

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfm

Yeah, heck of a price for an 8" woofer that can handle 150 watts RMS. So yes it is a woofer and NOT a SUB-woofer. However it seems to be used more for home theater and automotive applications.

However plugging some numbers into OnlineISD I have come up with a ported set of numbers that will give this a low end frequency range to 40 hz before it starts to drop off. I'll get a 1200 watt RMC rating on the cab, and I think I can keep it to about 60 lbs.

Aside from what might be some ambitious figures, does anyone predict any problems I might see with using this driver for a ported bass cab. Yeah the price is nice because I could buy 8 speakers for just over $120 and the next option I was looking at would be 3 times as much for the speakers. But this rivals or beats ALL other 8" drivers I have looked at for both power handling and lowend single driver frequency.

Would really appreciate some thoughts on this. And yes this will be my first cabinet build. If someone has an alternate speaker to consider I am all ears, price is a point of contention, as in the more expensive the per driver price the further in the future me starting this build becomes. I would say the max price point is $60 a driver, and even still that is pushing it considering the price of a used Henry the 8x8.

Ken

2. Pick up the Henry.. I know where there's one at a pawn shop.

Tim

3. atlast someone is making a 8x8

i have a 2x8 and its the nicest sounding cab ever and goes great with a 1x15

4. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Love the cab, don't get me wrong, but if I could make something lighter for less, I would be willing to try. Plus the Henry won't stack as well with my 2x12 as the design I am thinking of.

Ken

5. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Bump, so seriously no input yet on this driver for a ported bass cabinet application?

Ken

6. Ken..

We'd need true info to help.. the guys here are smart enough NOT to just start talking about physics without data.

I know where there's a stack of new Eminance 8s.. all about 20 each.. brand new.

Theres'a ton more to this than just a size or catalog pix.

7. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Then tell me the info you need and I will get it to you.

And what are the specs of those eminence speakers, because I get paid this week!

Ken

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Model it yourself in WinISD Alpha Pro and compare the maximum SPL to that of one Eminence 3015LF, and compare the price of eight eights to the one fifteen. BTW, your link doesn't go to a driver.

9. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Oh sweet Jesus, duh, sorry, here it is:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-272

Ken

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  11. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    The fitzmaurice hath spoken, now go forth, and load thy cabinet with an eminence 3015LF :p :p

12. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Xmax: 2.3mm
    SPL: 87.7 db 1W/1m

What exactly would you achieve with these abysmal stats?

13. Steve 1100

Steve 1100

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    When the stock Celestions took a crap, I loaded my SWR Henry 8x8 with some Pyle Pro PA speakers:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=292-212

and it sounded awfull.

From the looks of the car speakers in question, it looks like a pretty bad idea. B&C, Selenium, Eminence look like legit options.. Heck, I loaded some old Sony speaker boxes with "Studio Pro" and they sound great. At $11 each, these might be worth a try:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-260

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The 8" speaker is not really cost-effective for bass frequency reproduction for instruments. Because of the exponential increase in vD with size of the driver, it takes something like six 8" drivers with 9mm xmax and 90db sensitivity to achieve what one 3015LF will do. Or what four BP102s will do.

Now, in reality, there are almost no 8" drivers with that high of an xmax with low Fs and good mid frequency output. Those that exist are probably more expensive than a single 3015LF

The bottom line is that there is not an 8" driver at a price point and weight that makes it better to use than a 2/3rds the number of 10" drivers or 1/6th the number of 15" drivers.

If you want the mid disperion of an 8" driver, use amid driver and a superior low frequency driver.

Edit: There is a reason that almost all commercial bass cabs use 10s, 12s and 15s. They're cost-effective. You can get a 3015LF for about the same price as three basslite S2010s or Bp102s, but six 100 dollar 8" drivers is where it gets crazy.

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You'd achieve farting at very low volumes, that's for sure . . .

16. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    And in my zeal I didn't even look at the speaker efficiency. I also have noticed they have a pro speaker page on that site. I think I shall go look around there for a while.

Thanks everyone!

Ken

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd heartily recommend for your first build you do something established. BFM, fEarful, and of course the Eminence cabinet designs are all excellent.

Another easy one are the EV TL-606 (and other TL model) plans which are available for free on the internets.

18. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    It was something I wanted to try to pair with my 2x12 cabinet as another option to pairing it with another 2x12 cabinet, which is pretty sweet. I just like many options, always like the 8x8 from SWR, except it is a heavy cuss.

Ken

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What are you trying to achieve sonically?

Mixing and matching cabinets is usually a pointless exercise. Learning to shape your tone is far more profitable in relation to the time invested.

To my ears, the Henry 8x8 despite its lovers, doesn't really do anything you couldn't do with a 6x10 at fairly similar size.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021