DIY Cabinets...More thump less money..Pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkengrooven, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

All you guys that are sort of handy with wood and don't have a lot of cash, like me check out these. These were built with salvaged plywood, the backs braced with salvaged poplar. the 15' Speakers were bought blown and reconed. The 18 inch was used and the 12's new

Attached Files:

2. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    how much did they cost to make, man hours, and what cabs can you compare them to?
    nice job btw
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

So give me the details,
    what are the drivers?

How come there are no ports in there? I see
    fiberglass or something?

How much do you figure your total cost
    was to build these rigs?

Are these as good as the avatar 4x 10's? :D
  4. Funkengrooven

Whose do they compare too? No one..they were designed to fit where I could carry them. They are a basic ported design tuned to the speaker installed using winISD beta software.
    Materials that cost were cheep, nails, glue, grill covers, paint, wire less than maybe $50.00 per box, tops.
    The wood was scrounged ...Maybe a tank of gas there.
    the 15 inch Alnico JBL K-140's :hyper: were $50.00 each blown and reconing was $70.00 so we have $220.00 for speakers
    So total investment for the 15's was maybe $300.00 in case i missed something.
    Man hours were maybe 6 to 10 per box.

The 18 inch :hyper: JBL 2241G was $50.00 on ebay with a trip to Virginia beach for me and my wife to pick it up, Do I include the trip??? :p
    The 2x12 speakers are Webervst Hi-Power Michigan Ceramic and were $185.00 for the pair, they might have gone up.
    Total for the 1x18/2x12 was maybe $350.00 unless you include the trip then add $400.00, still a bargain.
    The basic cost of all of the cabinets was the speakers.
    If you bought the plywood from a home center you are looking at about $30.00 per sheet, if you plan out your cuts real well you can do a lot with a standard 4x8 sheet.

And they will kick any Avatar right off the stage with no apologies.
  5. Thor

Pretty schweet!!!!

JBL 18 for 50 bucks?

I hate you ....
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Nice going FG.
    What interior dim's did you use for the K140 's ?
    How well do they handle the low E ?
    How much power are you dumping into them ?

What joinery type did you use ?

I have a number of spare JBL's (2x D140, 2205a, K130 reconed as a 140, E140 & K140) lying about, a table saw and router ... and I've been thinking about doing this for a while.

Also been thinking about grabbing a couple of K120's if I can find some and biamping again.

Thanks, Mal
  7. Funkengrooven

Thanks...please excuse me, I missed your question earlier.
    Interior dimensions....hmm I have the drawings at home ( i would be happy to send them to you) but i believe it was something like 26" wide by 22 tall x 16 deep.. something like that. I will look when i get home and give you an accurate answer.
    I play a shortscale bass with lots of harmonics on the low E and they stay nice and clean. I use either an SWR 550x or my pre/power rig at 200 per side into 4 ohms.
    The speakers in these cabinets are K-130 baskets and D-130 style coils with D-140 style cones reconed by Webervst. The D-130 coils make them react a little faster according to Weber.
    None of those parts are Factory JBL all of them are Weber parts.
    I hear only a very slight inconsequential diff between my factory original K-140's and the recones.

The joinery that i used is the classic butt joint with 3/4 x 3/4 strips in all the corners except the front panel which are 3/4 x 1 .
    The front panel slides in from the front and is nailed and glued fast to the support strips and the sides. Fasteners are #4D finishing nails and carpenters wood glue. no screws except two, one on each end of the back panel brace (2x2x30 poplar also glued and nailed) which is installed nonsymetrically and diagonalally to divide the back into unequal noresonating sections. The cabinet was stuffed with fibreglas before the front went on to better secure the position of the fibreglas.

The holes for the speakers were cut with a router that I modified with a circle cutting attachment, the ports cut with a holesaw.
    You can email me and I'll send you an AutoCAD drawing or a gif if you don't have CAD.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Sounds like an easy enough build. I've been playing with Rabbett/Dado construction for the last month getting ready for a flurry of cab prototyping. I would be very interested in the gif (I'm not a cad guy). Did you use something to lengthen the ports ? Or maybe a beter way of asking is what is the port length ? If the dim's above are interior, then your cab is around 5.3 ft3. That is a very similar sizer to the JBL Cabaret bin that was made in the 80's. Great cab's those were!
  9. Funkengrooven

I think that 5.3 cubic was about right but I will still have to check.
    I set the volume and the port size so that i didn't have to mess with port tubes. they added another variable that I decided early on was a pain in the butt.
    the port length is actually the thickness of the baffle and no more.
    Drop me an email and i'll get the drawings to you.
    actually I could post them too.
  10. Thor

Yeah, post it! This is TB, WE WANT PICS!

I like the possibilities here. You can really get a lot more thump for your buck with this kind of DIY stuff. For all the
    stuff we see discussed here, I don't see a lot of cab rebuilds,
    mods and driver changes as opposed to discussion of gear changes, Bergie VS Aguilar, etc.

Of course, the fact that I am in the middle of 2 DIY projects
    may bias my thinking.
  11. Funkengrooven

Want a picture of an old 2x15 Kustom (by Ross) that somebody stripped and cut in half?
    I added the bottom and the back and now it is a sealed 1x15 practice cabinet that sits under my SWR LA-8. no not a JBL, the box is WAY too small. A ceramic CTS circa 1972 or so.