1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY Cabintes 4x10 + 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerem, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jerem

Jerem

Jun 6, 2012
    Hello, its my 1st post on this forum, so i would like to sya hi :)

im abaout to update my rig, and i thought about making cabinets by myself. I dont have problem with working with wood, ive done some hi-fi cabinets by myselfs. they werent as good as they should, because i done it with my own plans, with was mistake :D

anyway, my idea was to buy some eminece speakers (delta or beta series prob.) + tweeter/horn, but there i got some problems.

if i want to use both cabs at the same time or use only 4x10, i should put tweeter/horn only in 4x10, or in 1x15 and leave 4x10 without it? and how to mount it?

and i want both cabs to be 8 ohms. how to achieve this, and how combine speakres in each cab?

what, despite speakwers should i buy? im using thomann.de

i found some designs on eminence site, but i cant really read it, and how do anything :D

Thanks for any halp, and sorry for my poor english :3

2. First of all dont combine a 410 and a 115. Second of all if you are looking at those type of designs its cheaper to buy an existing cab for the amount of performance you get. Third if you are serious about DIY cabs, check out Bill Fitzmaurice and greenboy fEARful plans. Both are miles beyond commercial 410 cabs.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    HUGE +1 to that^

4. Jerem

Jerem

Jun 6, 2012
    well i thought about it, cuz some of players which i know, and which tone i prefer, ar using this setup. but if you say so i think ill change mind and do one big, one sized speakers cab. what do you think about 4x12?

5. I would still say you get more for you money looking into a fEARful or BFM design. All the guess work is done.

If you are set on a 412, I would build two 212 cabs, and then stack them vertically.

|O|
    |O|
    |O|
    |O|

Like this.

6. i wish bfm was still about. ok, basicly a fearful or greenboy design can get the best results for home made cabs. you can get the most volume and tone from most of them

7. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    Jarem, before you ask, vertically aligned speakers gives better horizontal dispersion.

8. Jerem

Jerem

Jun 6, 2012
  9. mate, once you go fEARfull......

10. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    If you are set on a 4X12 cab, that tells me you want massive volume. If that's the case......fEARful 1515/66. You also don't say where you are. Than can help with suppliers and parts. Good luck.

11. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Building cabs isn't as easy as it looks, you have to make sure that the cab size and ports are suitable for the speakers, so it's not just getting four 10", 12" or 15" speakers or whatever config and slinging them in a box. So the box has to be designed to be compatible with the drivers.

I've got a terrific Barefaced cab that really leaves me wanting for very little, but I'm also thinking of building myself another cab so that I can ring the changes. I've built cabs before and this time I'm drawn to building a simple cab that doesn't need crossovers and gives a real classic vibe....If you like classic cabs I don't think you can go far wrong with something like this.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/custom-diy-2x15-cab-build-854517/

It's also really efficient so it'll crank LOUD with a relatively small amp.

12. I have played 412's, and I have owned a 410/115 and an 810 rig. I prefer either of my fEARfuls to any commercial cab.

+1

The only cab gas I have left is for more fEARfuls.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Fearful are nice enough cabs; and certainly a well thought out design.
    They're not the answer to everyone's preferences.

14. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I don't own a fEARful, but I do own 2 Jack 112s designed by Bill Fitzmaurice. I'd never need more, honestly. They are loud and sound great.

You can't go wrong with either fEARful for BFM. Do yourself a favor and forget "classic" combinations. They are classic because they were good for the times they were developed. Much more is known about the science of sound and how to get the most out of it these days. That includes why and how classic designs are inferior to the cabs of today.

15. +1

You are right on that, they are not for every one. BFM stuff is great too, but you pay for the plans. For someone looking for DIY guidance they are an amazing and free design. Greenboy is pretty free with his knowledge as well, and that makes the DIY value of fEARful cabs immense. I have seen him help a ton of guys with their fEARful cabs, with commercial cabs, and even answer a few questions for people that have gone to elsewhere for cabs. Add in the fact that there is a community around the designs to help answer questions, and there are few choices for DIY that are as appealing.

16. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    This statement is true. I myself play fEARfuls, but I've also had great sound out of GK, Ampeg, Mesa, & Avatar cabs as well. Lots of great cabinets out there. For me it came down to size/weight to sound output ratio. I like loud music, but I'm old & lazy. :p

17. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I have a fEARful 1515/66 and it is wicked loud and crystal clear. My buddy has a Dr. Bass (DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THESE NEW) 212 and a 115T and they sound amazing as well. I sometimes miss my Carvin BRX410NEO, as for the money, it was an amazing cab. I think if you are trying to save money then you need to hit the used market for a GK, Mesa, or Aggie 412. If you are looking for a loud efficient cab that sounds like whatever your amp tells it to sound like, then look into a fEARful.

18. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Depends on your budget for speakers.

the classic 4x10/4x12 uses a horizontal pair , which will cause combing/phasing in the horizontal listening area. (to the sides)

hifi designs use a vertical alignment to improve horizontal dispersion. So fellow band members and you will get a consistent sound. Typically with a standard 4x10 /4x12, You standing in front of your cabinet would hear a certain mix, and people standing to the sides or off axis will hear a different mix. The vertical alignment will improve this problem.

Older designs used heavy plywood in the 19 to 20mm range

more modern approach to get a lighter cabinet using 12 to 13mm
    plywood is more common. Special attention to bracing methods will make the lighter wood possibly.

So going with a vertical design the best approach would be a 2x10 2x12 or 2x15 and if you exceed their power limits, you simply add another matching pair stacked vertical.

4x10 and 2x15 with a Med budget driver will both get to the same maximum SPL. So it is cheaper to use a 2x15 since you only need to buy 2 drivers around 99 to 140 eurs instead of needing 4.

Bottom of the budget your looking at 15" drivers with min of 5mm xmax, higher budget speakers are Neos which reduce weight and can have larger xmax from 7mm to 9mm. the price range pretty much doubles at that point.

For a med budget 2x15 I would look at investing in nothing less than a Eminence CB158 legend or the Precision Devices PD.153er

your looking at 99 to 130 liters per 15" driver and both in a Reflex/ported type box would be tuned to 40hz.
    good box would be around 609 millimeter Wide, 965mm tall , 406mm deep.

finding something cheaper is a waste of money, more power handling would found with even more costly drivers.
    Might as well buy a premade used cabinet, Do it yourself
    or DIY speaker cabinets are more costly, it more about building something exactly like you want as far as aesthetics, and also possibly to use speaker drivers that can exceed typical known factory/manufactures speakers.

if you wanna build a 2x12 I did a rough design in This thread

19. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    It depends what you want.
    You want deep thumpin bass use 2-15' cabs both 8ohm & an amp will see 4ohm & put out more power.
    On the other hand getting 2 - 4x10 cabs both 8ohm will do the same but i think it will be much louder & clearer.Plus you can use one cab when it calls for it.
    Thats my view but it all depends on what you want.
    FYI-im using a 2 channel Poweramp with 2 - 4x10 diy cabs on 1 side with Eminence BP102 speakers & the other side has a 4x10 & 15' cabs .I havent heard anything like this its massive.They do blend good to me !

20. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    If I was on a budget and needed a good cab with a 4x10 sound and a more modern twist, I'd buy a good used 410 and have a low pass filter made to low pass two of the vertical columbs on either the left or right of the cab at 500hz. 4x10 sound with great dispersion. Then buy a second one and do the same thing. I can't believe more guys don't do this.....who spend time on talkbass anyway.