1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

diy compressors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thombo, Feb 28, 2008.

1. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
  2. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I've used the BYOC and it's pretty amazing. My buddy built one and had me check it out, it's definitely worth checking out. If the vintage compressor sound (a la Pink Floyd) is what you're after, this one can't be beat without going into the vintage $$$ realm.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Was that the optical or the Ross clone?

4. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I'm about to build a demeter compulator clone...I just have to wait for the optocoupler.

5. I built an orange squeezer clone a few years ago. it's a simple circuit and works well. i think i got the build info from www.generalguitargadgets.com

6. astralis

astralis

Dec 31, 2006
    Fort Myers, FL
    I have built A TON of the compressor circuits that you can find floating around...
    I have found out my favorite by far is the 'flatline', search it on diystompboxes.com. This effect uses an opto, and is actually a stripped down version of the famous LA-2A. It gives a great limiting sound and I use it as my main pedal for compression (I also use a DBX166A).

The OS is a pretty good comp as well, BUT! You HAVE to use the bass mods or it will be useless.
    The mods for Bass that I personally did were;
    1] changed output cap from 4.7uF to 1uF
    2] changed bleeder cap from 4.7uf to 10uF
    3] decreased feedback resistor from 220k to 200k

Build both and pick the one you like!! =]

7. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    is there a diy compulator kit?

8. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    no, but the schematic & PCB layout exists, means you should make the PCB and buy the components separately.

9. astralis

astralis

Dec 31, 2006
    Fort Myers, FL
    I have heard reports that it sounds a lot like the flatline.
    From those who have owned both of course =].

10. where are said diagrams? i'd like to see them, maybe save myself a bit

11. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    www.freestompboxes.org, look for Baja Compulator.
    Take some time to register & look to another threads and prepare to be surprised.....;)...tons of schematic you'll never find anywhere else.

12. I'm not having much luck tracking down the layout & PCB for the Baja comp clone, though I've found his version of the LA2A-style limiter. Any further help you can give would be appreciated.

13. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Another option (though not totally DIY) is to mod a CS3. They can usually be found silly cheap.

14. Many thanks danny - perfect!

15. I have just completed a home build Dyna Comp - layout from the DIY Stompbox pages (Mark Hammer)
    Does anyone know how I can make that more receptive for bass frequencies?