1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY copy of a Genz-Benz Shuttle 8T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terlewine, Feb 18, 2018.

1. terlewine

terlewine Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    (The title of this thread had the question "What speaker?" but agedhorse has helped locate an original replacement. I'll leave the thread going to report on my progress building a Shuttle 8T clone.)

I like my tiny G-B Shuttle cab with its 8" speaker. And I'm in a DIY mood so I'm making a clone of it to have a mini-stack. The Eminence speaker that's in the original cab evidently was made for G-B, and isn't available. There don't seem to be a lot of 8" drivers for bass cabs.

I'm looking for advice on a good 8" speaker, 8-ohms, to handle 200 watts. Any recommendations?

I'm about to order tolex, corners, feet and such -- this is fun. :)

cabinet-in-the-works.jpg cabinet-in-the-works2.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Remember it’s the wood that contacts the saw blade and nothing that turns red when you cut it! :)

Good luck with the project.

dralionux likes this.
  3. If you contact Mr Agedhorse and ask really nicely he might be able to find a NOS one for you. Failing that he might nod at one of the current stock Eminence ones that should be close enough. The trouble is copying a cab requires the identical driver as well.

agedhorse likes this.
  4. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    Looks like it's agedhorse to the rescue! He's contacted me to say he's got an original replacement speaker available.

Ain't talkbass great?

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    There's also the crossover and tweeter to consider, but as you go through the process with Mr. Horse, you might ask his suggestions there as well. The one in the 8t might keep up with both woofers just fine.

6. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    Thanks. Lookin' into it.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Keep us informed about progress please. :)

8. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    Will do. Waiting for a roundover router bit so I can radius the edges, then comes tolex... Such a tiny box is a lot easier than wrasslin' with a big cabinet.

9. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    It seems the Shuttle 8T cab has a 1/4" radius on the edges (the plywood's only 1/2" thick). Most corner hardware I'm finding is intended for a 1/2" or 3/4" radius. If anybody knows a source for similar matching corner hardware, I haven't had much luck Googling so far.

10. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Good luck with this project - that little 8" GB cabinet is the mighty-mite of all time.

11. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    Thanks. It really is a pretty amazing little cab.

12. Like your minimalist & modular thinking!
    Depends on your playing situation, but 8" drivers don't move much air so I'd be looking at the sensitivity/efficiency spec of a speaker when choosing. For example I tried the Visaton dual coil 8" driver (with its two 4ohm coils in series) which is 88dB @1watt@1m, in a practice amp. Robustly made but just not much volume for the input.
    Soundlabs Group GF 200 - 2 x 4 Ohm

13. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    Thanks for that input. It's very puzzling for someone who knows as little as I do about speakers to shop for them.

I've lucked out: agedhorse found a NOS Genz-Benz original replacement on hand. That's what I'm going to go with.

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Wait until you have your corners in hand, that way you can match the roundover to your corners. Don't forget to factor in the vinyl you choose.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  15. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    Good point, thanks. Going to go cancel that roundover bit at Amazon right now...

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Off the top of my head, I think 3/8" radius works better. Especially with the vinyl.

17. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Got Menards there in Ohio? They always seem to have whatever router bit I need.

Any chance you could measure the inside dimensions and port sizes?

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    If he copies his existing cabinet exactly, the driver is guaranteed to work properly.

wave rider likes this.
  19. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    Since I've got the actual Shuttle 8T combo cab, I'm simply copying its dimensions.

20. terlewine

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    badexample: I didn't mean to ignore your question. Did you want those dimensions, or were you just helping me make sure I'm not creating something that won't work?

Here's my highly scientific plan drawing (I can send you clean specs if you need 'em):

plan-sketch.jpg

BadExample and bobcruz like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021