Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY custom rack ears

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vision, Mar 14, 2006.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    How difficult would it be to make custom rack ears? Is it as simple as getting rack ears from another amp and drilling the holes to fit yours? I have an AMP BH-420 and rack ears are difficult to impossible to find for it...

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've successfully adapted various ones from my junk box over the years. You can buy "universal" ones from Penn Fab or Middle Atlantic that might work for you. Don't be surprised if you need to get creative with spacers or a bit of bending and cutting.

Alternately, any decent machine shop could make you some in a jiffy. Know any high school kids with access to the school shop?

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Ditto to all the above.

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    get on it soon. high school are dropping wood and machine shops at an alarming rate. its the silent, insideous removal of "vocational ed" from public schools. it's sad.

wait, lemme get off my soap box. wrong board.

vision, the DOC should have them for the TFB420. i dont know if the holes match, but you could fudge em.

5. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I've made them before, and they're not difficult, but you're bound to mess up the first set you do. You do also need to be prepared to add spacers. It's good if you can make some of the holes elongated to allow for 'slop'

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You can sometimes get angle aluminum extrusions at a place like Home Depot, of exactly the right dimensions. The aluminum can be cut with a hacksaw. File away the rough edges. Then "measure twice, cut once." A prick punch helps locate the holes for drilling, followed by a small pilot hole and then the big hole. You can even do it with hand tools if you are patient.

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Hmm...so this just may be worth a shot...