1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY DB750 Headcase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basey, Oct 11, 2018.

1. basey

basey Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hi,
    I've got an urge to make a classic style head case for my Aggie DB750. Something that will make it fit right in with the old tube amps and cabs visually. I don't really care for the one Aguilar sells.
    I guess I'm just looking for a little direction, style wise.
    I appreciate any helpful thoughts.

punchclock likes this.
  2. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    Agreed.

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    What is it about the one that they sell that you don’t like. It looks like many vintage cabinets. The chrome corners helps vs the black ones.

Personally, the only things that I would change is the top front cutaway. Ampeg did this with the Japanese MTI SVT’s. Maybe the vinyl, I prefer the smoother Marshall Black Levant.

If you don’t want to build one, you can custom order one to your specs. Here is an example.

Headbox for Modern Ampeg SVT 3 - Product Details

Aguilar cabinet.
    48FFA507-426D-449B-86A4-BEBBE3E3E8DB.

09215C81-D7F8-4786-8CD7-382C5129FAB0.

4. basey

basey Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks for the info on the svt case. I guess I'm looking for something that doesn't look so much like a rack case. I don't care for the indent on the aguilar case, although they probably put it there to make it look less rack like as well. I guess thats why I was looking for suggestions.
    I also enjoy building things, so thats part of it too.

5. basey

basey Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    ea-usa-top100-028.
    Here's a mock-up of what I think would be a good compromise. It's sort of a Matamp style case with piping. I'm going to have to get creative hiding the rack ears. I'll start a build thread when I get started.

beans-on-toast likes this.