1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY distress- HPF

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eddododo, Jul 20, 2012.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    learning electronics. SUPER inexperienced

Im trying to design/make a HPF, using passive RC circuitry

I have so many questions, but I'll start here:
    By using a trimmer cap here, with a 4M resistor to ground, I figure I can smoothly (though blindly i think) sweep the corner frequency up and down, from right about low E to the next E up..

or am I misunderstanding how the cicuit/trimcap work?

also, is it possible to cascade (via switches or a dpdt) anoth JC circuit to get a -12dB drop off? I read that 'they interact' but i didnt find further explanation.

Thanks guys, been obsessing (literally up til 4am everything for 2 weeks now) over reading electrical theory and wiring/rewiring my basses/making BS passive tone/volumecut pedals out of boxes and tins and cut headphone jacks.. having alot of fun

2. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    BUT I HATE THAT I POST QUESTIONS AT FOUR AM THAT I WANT ANSWERS TO NOWWWWW

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    From my research, you won't have the best result for a HPF if you're all-passive. Add an op-amp. With a bit more research, it you shouldn't have a problem.

I'll just leave these here:

Spækerbœx: 27.2Hz High-pass filter
    Feel free to add a single op amp to the front of this, as recommended by [sfx].

Subsonic/Rumble Filter.
    This is a HPF using simple circuitry. In fact, it's what I based Spækerbœx on. It's got a rad chart that lets you know what frequency the caps will do the passing at.

R-C Filter Calculator
    Good tool.

Do those help? Tired. Going to bed.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Diystompboxes.com and freestompboxes.org are great places to get this answered much better and faster :). Best of luck!

5. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Been using the R-C calc;
    I had found your other link, but its a little above my current ambition... READ: ability

edit: didnt see the middle link before, somehow. *research research research*