Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY Drum sander

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by River Gambler, Jan 29, 2006.

1. River Gambler

River Gambler

Feb 10, 2005
    I'm tired of trying to sand boards flat by hand ( fret boards, lam tops etc.). Does any body know of a diy drum sander I can build. Thanks Tom with raw fingers.

2. you said "sand flat" and then you said "drum sander"

do you mean "belt sander"?

3. D'Aquisto or D'Angelico used to use a home made drum sander to thickness there sides and stuff on there guitars if it's good enuff for the best archtop makers in the world, I recon you could get away with it, google it see if any plans come up.

4. I use my homebuilt thickness sander on nearly every project I do. It's proven to be up to the task for all the types of woods I've used. I also use it as a drum sander while handholding pieces - like when you put a tummy carve in the back of a Jazz body. I've removed fretboards with it (long process but successful) and I use it for making thin stock for coverplates, etc.

5. River Gambler

River Gambler

Feb 10, 2005
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Tom with not for long raw fingers.