1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY fat finger?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by anonymous278347457, Dec 13, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    For those of you who arnt familiar with fat fingers, they are basically a piece of brass with a thumbscrew on, you put them on your headstock to increase sustain

[​IMG]

here in the UK, they are £20, the thing is I cant justify spending that much on a piece of brass....Its not exactly a fined tuned piece of gear like a bridge or tuning peg is it?

Do you guys and girls think it would be possible to make one? Clamps are a good idea(which a lot of people use) but they are kinda ugly, and You cant really use them live(might come off and hit someone)

2. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I think it would be quite simple. The goal is to add mass, as I understand it, so all that matters is that your chunk of brass be nicely attached. I think a DIY would be nicer even, because you could put it on the back of the head, and have it invisible from the front.

fm

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    tie a piece of brass to your tuning machines.

i'm just kidding :) .

4. NO NO!

drill a hole through your headstock and use a big long bolt with big flat washers...works great!...

:D

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I think Pilbara's idea is actually a decent one, if you don't mind stabbing people with your headstock.

Maybe you could duct tape or attach a couple of heavy bolts to the back of the headstock.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why not just clamp it to a table then? Problem solved!

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I can see something like that helping with dead spots by reducing sympathetic vibrations, but how much could it possibly increase sustain on a remotely decent instrument?