1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Fearful 15/6 construction questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R-o-D-, Apr 24, 2010.

1. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    Howdy boys!

Just started construction on a fearful 15/6 tube.

I was wondering if someone /w construction skills could give me a few pointers.. I've got all the wood cut out, and now I'm wondering about the proper order of doing things.. Specifically, should i add the supports before or after I put the sides / back / bottom / top together? seems like it'd be easier to glue them on the wood before it was put together, but I'm a bit worried about the fit if i do it that way.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    If you go back to the first few fEarful threads, you'll see that people have been assembling these cabs in a variety of orders. There are at least a few sets of progress pictures that show how people have assembled the cabs, as well as the WIKI having in progress pics. :)

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think what you do depends a lot on how your clamp situation is - do you have a big workbench with tons of bar clamps of the right sizes? etc.

4. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    Tools: Me, a hand held skillsaw, a pencil, a drill and 1 clamp.

But, if you're saying either way is correct, then I'll assemble then insert the spines.. was just a bit worried that may not be the "proper" way. Thanks for the replies! Pictures soon!

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I would suggest that you might wish to spend a few dollars and head out to get a few more decent clamps. It will make a world of difference in keeping things tight and also keeping things square.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Lowes sells a nice set of a ton of clamps for around 20 bucks. Best purchase I made.

7. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    really? might have to check that out. any big ones? I only have 2 long clamps (36") and 2 12" clamps. my old 48"ers got left outside by the wife and rusted up threw 6 out last week :/

for the op, I tend to do bottom and back together, then sides, then port divider, then port, then skeleton bracing then front then top. working on a 12/6 as we speak just got the port in

8. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meh. Just using screws and glue.
    Didn't feel like driving back to the hardware store for clamps.

Seems to be snug fur now.

So if you use clamps, can you go completely w/o screw and nails, and just use glue?

9. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Yeah the recommended PL glue is both stronger than the plywood

10. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Harbor freight for bar clamps, super cheap. If you need bigger they have pipe clamps, get some 48" pre threaded pipe at Home depot.

I use a biscuit jointer, it helps keep all the edges from slipping around, some 1/4" x 2" narrow crown staples (air driven stapler) and about 12 to 16 bar clamps. Some square scrap to hold the open front square. Check everything for square before the glue sets up or you'll end up with a racked cab.

With this method you could skip the fasteners, but a few staples help hold things when you have 5 sides and glue on everything and just two hands. Once the clamps are on and you've wiped up the excess glue, it's Miller time.

If you want to round over the corners for plastic corner stackers, keep the fasteners away from the edges or you will ruin your router bit.

11. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    Alright.. construction is nearly done! But, in my haste i think i bought the wrong crossover..
    I bought a PEAVEY ECS-3X, but wasn't planning on adding a horn. Since its a 3-way crossover, and i only have 2 speakers am i just totally screwed, or what? Can i run the smaller speaker /w both sets of wires (mid / highs) I guess i could add a horn if need be. I dont wanna deal /w returning this thing at this point.

12. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    yeah, add acompression driver and wave guide. Not too expensive and I wish I had done it for at least one of my 12/6

I don't know if the peavey will be fine without it or not however.....

13. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Send me your address and I'll mail you the Foster compression driver/horn I just pulled out of a Peavey 410 bass cabinet. I'll throw in the attenuator as well. You're probably on your own on how to incorporate it with your jackplate/crossover, but it shouldn't be rocket science- I bet somebody here can help.

Jon

14. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks, Jon! I'll pm ya.

However, i was more interested in finding out if i can somehow use this crossover w/o a horn section, if anyone know.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You'll most likely need to disconnect the low pass section of the midrange plus the feed to the high pass for the tweeter, probably by cutting circuit board traces or desoldering some components. I haven't seen one of those in the flesh yet so it's hard to be more specific. I don't have the schematic anymore either I'm afraid.

16. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    Ok, so basically i need to turn it into a a 2 pass crossover? I guess I'll give it a shot.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    This sounds like a lot more work for something that 'might work' than returning the piece or flipping it and buying the correct one.

18. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    .. and looking at the board, I'm thinking you are correct.

I thought it may just work by attaching both the high end and the mid section to the mid speaker.. but i guess ill just return this thing.

19. R-o-D-

R-o-D-

Jan 14, 2009
    All but done!

Added a horn, and kept the Peavey crossover.

Sounds smooth as hell.
    I wish i had a tube pre for the old girl.

I'm having trouble finding a descent tube pre.. seems pre/pow is on the way out.

After hearing this fearful, I think I could sell my ampeg svt-215e ; any idea on what I could get out of it ( was thinking 400-500 usd )

fearful15-6-1.

20. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Nice job on the cab, it looks great.
    What's your definition of "decent"? The reason I ask is because there are preamps popping up in the amp classifieds here all the time: various Demeters, Ampegs, Alembic, Samamp, SWR, Eden, etc. Take a peek.