1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY Footswitch Replacement?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkateer, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Funkateer


    Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Seems like this is something my modest soldering skills can handle. My EBS Octabass' footswitch is intermittent. EBS says it is a standard one pole footswitch, and that any that fits is OK.

    Where are good sources for such switches? Any particular switch I should be looking for?

  2. Funkateer


    Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Thanks. That may indeed do the trick. 7/8" depth is right at the edge. After failing to discover how to remove the PCB from the metal case, I looked more closely at both the instructions, and the effect, and discovered that I probably don't need to remove the PCB at all. The instructions are for wiring the switch into a wah pedal. As I only have two wires coming from the switch, I shouldn't need to look at the PCB. Right? Am I missing something?

    How does one remove the PCB without damaging it? I removed every nut I could find, etc. but the input jacks and power connectors are inset into the case, and as the case is pretty rigid, I couldn't figure it out.
  3. RobertUI

    RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

    Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    That one from stewmac isn't what you want, it's a 3pdt (3 pole double throw), when whatyou want is spdt (singl pole double throw). Check out small bear they should hav exactly what you need and for a lot less than stewmac too. I just bought a bunch of stuff from them (small bear) and found that they're awesome. It should be an easy repair for you.

  4. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Any SPDT stomp switch would be good, however Stewmac doesn't sell the Carling version of that (Carling is the most reliable maker I've found and is the most widely used SPDT and DPDT switches out there) and that's exactly what you'll find in a Dunlop wah for that reason. However, a Carling 316 DPDT will work fine, you'll just leave one set of lugs open.
  5. Funkateer


    Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Not only did Mats Kristofferson keep my from buying the wrong switch, he kept me from buying ANY switch by sending me a replacement gratis!
  6. Finger Blister

    Finger Blister

    Jul 8, 2003
    Gratis is Good.