1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Fretless bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Sep 7, 2008.

1. So i've got 3 basses now only one of which i really play and just for the fun of it I want to make it fretless.. by myself. The bass in question is my Squier Precision Special. It was a great bass and still is i just enjoy playing my spectors more. I really like the way fretless basses sound but i don't want to go out and buy one.

So, is there a kit somewhere that could help? Or a guide? What should i use to remove the frets and what should i use to fill them? Can I epoxy the fingerboard myself? Answers to any of those questions would be appreciated.

2. The Setup and Repair section has a Sticky at the top about defretting. You might want to check that out.

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    There's a few threads in the luthier's corner about that too. It's not hard at all to do as long as you're meticulous and like to do the work properly. A neck can be easily screwed up by a lazy mod.