DIY guitar/bass rack

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by germ_77, Oct 10, 2011.

1. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011
    I am thinking about building my own guitar/bass rack and looking for ideas of what people have made.

I am thinking of more or less making it a box that is open on the top and half of the front but looking to see what other people have made.

If there is already other topics on this I wasnt able to find them with the search.

I would be wanting to make the spacing large enough for accoustic guitars (or atleast or two of the spaces wide enough) and then another 6-8 spaces for electric instruments and possibly maybe even some type of stand for my upright.

If you got pics I would love to see them for inspiration.

2. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    My mom downsized and gave me two large "china cabinets". I am going to convert them to bass guitar racks as I seem to have more basses than china dishes:p. I will take some pictures when I am done.

huckleberry1 likes this.
  3. I've seen ones made of PVC pipe. Easy to put together and pretty sturdy.

4. sori to pop out an old thread, but I just build one for me..

IMG_20140818_200855_zps7t0irdk2.jpg

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Like this. What diameter pipe? Can it break down for travel?

6. I use 3/4" pipes, and glued it together so its became steady

if you want to break it and re-assemble it, then don't glue it, but it can get unstable, better to test it yourself :)

7. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Thanks. I think I can see a way to make it foldable. If it works, I'll post back. May not be soon. I'm pretty busy lately

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Maybe not foldable, but don't glue the uprights into the T's there they join the base and make it two piece that would lay flat for ease of storage/transport. Cross drill the T joints with the uprights installed so you could put some sort of locking pin through the T's and uprights would make it more sturdy.

9. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    That is a good idea. I was thinking about not inserting the uprights into the verticals directly, but attaching them with a bolt that would feed through both tubes so it can pivot. It would also need a way to kick in place so it wouldn't collapse.

10. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    Use the same bolt and pivot idea about halfway up the main uprights to attach some legs that would swing out to the rear of the stand maybe?

Or put a plate between the upright(s) and the base, with a hole that lined up with a hole drilled in the upright so you could pin the uprights to the plates. Put some smallish palm knobs or wing nuts on the screws so you could tighten them without needing a wrench.

11. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Yeah, some good ideas. I haven't decided which way to proceed. If you don't mind, the measurements you use would save me some time and be greatly appreciated.

12. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    Haven't built one, but maybe SPYD3R #9 might be willing to supply the dimensions he used.

13. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021