DIY hotrod P-bass? Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Apr 19, 2003.

1. I recently picked up a MIA hotrod P-Bass on ebay for a good price. It sounds terrific and plays great but it weighs more than my current Jazz, Warwick, P-Bass. The extra weight is starting to make my already messed up shoulder even worse.

I'm seriously considering having a good friend of mine who owns a wood shop (wooden signs) route a hole for a Jazz pickup in my lighter P-Bass and then purchase a matched p/j pickup set.

I messed around with swapping necks too. I put the maple fretboard from my P-Bass on the hotrod and it sounded great!

Any thoughts?
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Here's another suggestion...go to Warmoth and pick a really light swamp ash body, or maybe even one of their superlight, hollow J-Bass bodies, and transfer the neck, all electronics, bridge etc to it. That will leave your Fenders all original in case you decide to sell.
  3. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    Yea, i think the hollow j basses are about 20% lighter.
  4. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea thats probably what I would do. You can use Warmoth or a cusotm luthier can do it too. I'm sure JAF basses or FBB can make you a replacement body.
  5. Hmmm...JAF you say? I hadn't thought to ask Mikegag and friends. Good idea!