Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY: Installing your own nuts & bridges?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PhilMan99, May 26, 2005.

1. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I'm wondering how common/realistic it is for a do-it-yourselfer to install their own nuts and bridges?

I've got a $600 Ibanez with good body & neck, but everything else is rubbish. I don't want to sink too much money in the bass, since at some point, it makes more sense to buy a new bass.

How precise are the "tolerances" when installing a bridge (without routing...) or nut?

For the bridge, I was planning on using the position of the current one as a "centering" reference (marking with masking-tape before I removed it), and likewise, marking the length of the typical string (intonation). Sources of error I can see are:
    * Not having a sufficiently precise measuring tool
    * Not drilling the holes sufficiently accurately

Any "words of wisdom" from those who have tried and either succeeded or failed?

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm asking the same question, since i'm planning on replacing my Ibanez'es crappy brigde with a Gotoh 406 ;).

Therefore, i will now *bump* this thread! :D

-Erlend

3. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
  4. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    On a $600 Ibanez SR, any thoughts on how much sonic difference I might get from better pickups?