Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY: Isolation Booth

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 25, 2003.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm gonna build me one of these things:

[​IMG]

i love the sound of my amp/cab mic'd. but, don't want to disturb the neighbors.

pretty simple, wood and foam.

couple of screws, a hinge or 2.

BAM.

f

2. SeeSharp

SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    Georgia
    At first i didn't know what it was but now i do and it is a pretty cool idea.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sounds like a cool idea.

What cab are you gonna throw in there, and how big is that thing gonna be?

Peace
    Nick

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    typically the iso box is also the cab ... one half is infinite baffle the other half is a chamber where you have the mic. So why infinite baffle ... cause the blast from a port into the mic chamber is noisy as heck ... and porting outside isn't picked up by the mic.

I built one a year ago. Useful for guitar *maybe* Mine is Celestion V-30 based which might too much speaker ... It is pretty quiet but I had to EQ the crap out of the signal to get much useful. Maybe a better box design would have helped. Might not be to my taste anyway.

I get better results with mic's and small amps.

I did read somewhere that one of the guys from Korn uses an iso box in his live rig. Seems like his stage gear powers the iso box and hte mic goes out to the board. He takes a line back from the board and powers a pair of Roland JC-120's for monitors. Seems overly complicated to me ...

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    When you have enough money, you can do whatever it takes to get your sound.

Peace
    Nick