1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY: Just built my first pedalboard...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marantz10, May 4, 2010.

1. marantz10

marantz10 Master Bass Playa

Oct 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    So after talking to my brother (electric guitarist), looking around in stores, and looking at a vast array of pedalboards online, I decided my route would be to build one.

I picked up a minimal amount of supplies from Lowes such as some a few pieces of oak (2x 6"x0.5"x2' and 1x 1.5"x0.5"x4') and stopped at Office Depot to pick up Velcro. I already had the rest of the tools and supplies at home. Before I left Lowes I had them cut the 4' piece into 13" sections.

I got home and built the whole thing before realizing to take pictures of the process but no big deal since it's pretty simple. I was going to have a 13" section in the middle but just the ones on the left and right seemed to be enough.

A few extra things I did:

I stapled the multi-plug cable underneath the pedal so that the wires stay out of the way.
    I lightly sanded the edges and corners around the whole unit so that I won't get splinters and won't be as painful if I jam my foot into the pedalboard.
    I got creative with some black paint and put a black border around the sides in such a way that it reminds me of my black blocked and binded Jazz bass. I know most people's pedalboards are typically all one color and don't usually have exposed wood showing but I think this looks sweet.

Only last week I received my first set of pedals for bass after switching from a multieffects pedal--I only have 3 for now but have plenty of room for more when the time comes. I didn't care to get a carrying case yet because I don't need one immediately and this way I can wait to find good deals at Goodwill for metal briefcases with proper dimensions.

I'd like you guys to tell me what you think. And then tell me your recommendation for progressive rock-style pedals. For some reason I want to get a tremolo so that's already on my list.

And of course, pictures:

DSC00831.

DSC00832.

See how it matches my bass?

DSC00722.

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Cool! I like it. Is it heavy? I've been checking out people's DIY boards in order to steal ideas for my own.

3. marantz10

Oct 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks! Even though it's solid oak, I can pick it up one handed from the middle with all the pedals on it. I just took off the pedals and tried and it's actually really light! If I throw this into an aluminum briefcase (they look like ATA cases but are a whole lot less money), then I'd imagine it'd wouldn't be that heavy carrying around.

I'd definitely recommend something like this.

Forgot to mention cost of the parts: 8.49 for Velcro and about 14 dollars for wood. Not bad!

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very nicely done, congrats!
    Some things to consider:
    Power supply, there are many different types available make sure you get one that will accomodate 18 volt pedals.
    Tremolos are nice, I have a Voodoo Labs Trem but there are many others. You might check out the Melleko Omicron Trem as it is very small and is only $100.

A Tuner is always handy to have on your board.

An Envelope Filter of some kind.

A chorus pedal is good to have.

Delay, such as the MXR Carbon Copy or other analog type.

An Octave divider is useful. I have the Electro-Harmonix Micro POG which is great because it tracks beautifully and can do octave up and down.

A synth pedal might be handy, there are many but all of them are a bit pricey. The E-H Bass Micro Synth is popular.

Any of these might be useful in a prog-rock context. There are a ton of different options and alot of info on the Effects forum will help you learn about them but nothing is better than going to the store and trying them out for yourself.

FX are fun an facinating but just remember that they are the "salt and pepper" not the main course.

Cheers!

5. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Looks great! Now you just need more pedals :)

6. Tuner, Chorus and Delay i think to top it off :p

In my case that would be Pitchblack, Clone & DD3

7. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    Pretty! I will post mine I just finished last night. Built a double decker pedal board for 6$!:hyper:

80% of the pedals are behringer just so you know:bag:

8. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    I found that with a lot of movement/rearranging of pedals, my velcro would always come off my homemade board even though it was stapled like yours.

I opted for just drilling holes and using long black zipties once I nailed down my chain.

It was a PITA though. :meh:

9. marantz10

Oct 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I used Velcro branded Velcro :p with adhesive on the backside. It seems pretty sturdy and doesn't really want to come off especially when it is installed in long strips.

I used staples for the wiring on the underside not for holding on the Velcro.

10. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    not the first time I have read a post wrong. :ninja: