Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY Luthierie and Bob Gollihur

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Johnny L, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    As I was patting myself on the back for saving a little cash buying my first upright bass last year and doing my own setup work (carving a new adjustable bridge, setting the soundpost, replacing the endpin and strings, planing the fingerboard, etc.), I made a statement in another thread that I found out what I needed to know to accomplish this by learning everything from my local library. That isn't entirely true. I'm a big fan of the public library system, but I owe thanks to Bob Gollihur for his outstanding website and the valuable information he has made available for free to myself as well. I could just send this thanks to Bob, but I felt like putting it here since I've been posting to this site a little bit and this post can be seen by more than just one person. I assert that learning to play AND learning to work on the bass go together to give one more to offer to those whose ear and mind one catches, and I'm glad Bob's site was around to help me walk the talk (and save some dough). So, Thanks Bob.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Bob (All Hail!) has a great site, all right. He's probably done more to educate lots of DB newbies than anyone you can think of. Speaking from experience, there are lots of questions that a new player may have that you don't wanna ask your teacher (if you have one)...just little details, and Bob's site has answered literally hundreds of those for me.

Also, the experienced guys on this and other 'Net forums are a great help. I'd try to list 'em, but they'd just call me funny names and make me to shut up... :D

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Why wouldn't you want to ask a question of a teacher? Isn't that why he is there?

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The amazing thing about Bob is that, when you post a question, whether in any one of several forums, or via Email, the answer usually comes back, BOOM, almost instantly, usually in the same session online. This leads me to believe that it was actually Bob, and not Dolly the sheep, who was the subject in those groundbreaking cloning experiments, cuz nobody can be that many places at once!