1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mustang-monk, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mustang-monk

mustang-monk

Feb 1, 2008
    is there anything around the house that i can make a cheap nut out off for one of my basses its been without strings and a nut for ages and i wanna stick a nut on it n string it back up but im wondering if theres anything i can cut and just stick on.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A small piece of wood? I've done this before, give a dark tone, pretty nice actually.
    In a pinch I've even used a pencil for a few days!

3. mustang-monk

mustang-monk

Feb 1, 2008
    might carve one out of a piece of solid wood flooring actually now that a think of it the toung of the joint would be perfect that or use the chunk of railway sleeper ive got. any other suggestions welcome

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Have you access to a piece of brass?
    Brass nut would rock!

5. mustang-monk

mustang-monk

Feb 1, 2008
    probably not but i bet my step dad has acces to other metals i could use. and theres a lot of metal work tools in the garage

6. An old kitchen knife with a bone handle is ideal.

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Local cabinet/counter shop will usually have Corian scraps that are small enough they will give you. They work well for a traditional nut. They cannot be used for an 1/8" captured Fender style nut.

8. That sounds like a great idea. You could sand it to the right thickness by gluing sandpaper to a flat surface and investing elbow grease.....

9. aluminium is good also, or so I heard. Zinc is another one

10. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Great idea. 1/4" plate glass is a great choice. It can usually be had for free if you stop by a large glass shop and ask for some scrap. They usually have a barrel of broken glass out back. Four to five by 10 inches is a good size. A deluxe tool can be created by epoxying the glass to a 3/4" piece of plywood an inch larger in all directions.

When sanding for thickness it is important to do it so as to keep all sides level and parallel. The trick is to make even strokes at the same pressure. Count the strokes and rotate the blank. The flip it and rotate it to do the other side. Continue the routine until the blank is sized.

11. mustang-monk

mustang-monk

Feb 1, 2008
    ive made one out of steel im yet to put the grooves in it so that ll have to wait till next tuesday though its probably a bit too high