1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY Omni Rig Phase 1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassksun, May 15, 2006.

1. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Well it took forever but the first phase of my DIY Rig, affectionately called Omni Rig, has finally got to the point where I can show pictures. There are 3 phases to this project: Omni 12, DIY matching OmniRack and a DIY 15" to be determined (open for suggestions Bill and BGavin). I'll skip with before and progress pics...they are a travesty anyway. A little advice to noobies like me. GET A TABLE SAW. This project would have been so much easier if I used a table saw! This cab is simply groovy.;)

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have absolutely no clue about the electronics except to say that I followed billfitzmaurice's plans and where I couldn't, like the Eminence xover, I got advice and stayed within tolerances. The only thing left are removable casters and stacking corner braces which should be here this week.

Evil Cat>>[​IMG]
    Solution: A spray bottle of NO-GO from PetSmart. It's waterbased. Cats sniff it and walk away.

Let the credits roll because I appreciate your help:
    billfitzmaurice, bgavin, Bernie Timbrook at bltsound.com (this man is AWESOME!!! I am is customer for life!)
    Now my band can get off the ground.

Peace and Be Yourself

2. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Your cab looks great! (And your cat is the same colour as ours...)

3. When you talk about a matching rack, are you thinking about 19 inch gear in a 20 inch wide carcass sitting on top of the cab, or a 24 inch carcass matching the cab, with a 19 inch gear and some kind of filler panel to suit?

I'm thinking about a mute button, and a place for a pocket sized tuner on an aluminium panel beside the 19 inch amp

4. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I'm thinking smaller is better...and lighter. :)

5. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks. That thing is 8 lbs of trouble.

6. As someone who just got the plans for the Tuba24 and will be building the Omni10 when the T24 is finished....I did not want to read the bolded portion. Did you find the Omni difficult to build? Looking at the Tuba plans, I can see where I might have a few problems, but I won't know until I get started. The Omni is supposed to be an easier build, but I'm curious as to your opinion (and relative background in the area). Thanks.

Mike

7. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I have some relatively good woodworking skills. I would go for the Omni first. This is the first audio cab I've built. The Omni is incredibly easy to build. The instructions are very good. You can use a circular saw and guide rails just fine but a table saw will be less work with greater accuracy. A lot less work. A lot more accurate. If it were'nt for the the truck bed paint you would sins a plenty.

OBTW...
    Get as many clamps as you can. Use a random orbital sander and I used Bondo instead of wood filler.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it looks great! but how does she sound?

9. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    Wow! It looks great. The grill is a nice touch. What do you plan to run it with? Also curious whether you made it 4 or 8 ohms?

10. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks. LOUD! My little GK Backline 250 is not really enough. BUT the cab is so efficient it's fine in a small combo setting. The tone works through all the volume levels. I really have to eq that horn. Glad I have a BBE-T to warm it up. I play modern blues and classic blues rock so it is perfect for me. I built this because of the versatility. As opposed to other cabs I've tried.

11. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks.
    8 ohms according to plans. GK Backline 250 and BBE T-Max...for now.

12. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    Do you find that you're getting enough low end output? Are you running a 4 or 5 string?

What kind of weight did you end up with?

Omni 12 is a great looking cab on the performance side. I'm kicking the idea around...

P.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Dude, that thing looks WICKED! (The cab, not the cat)...I have the plans, just need to find time to git'r'done. How much time did it take you to build it out, and please expound on the Eminence XO...

Looking forward to a complete review when you get more power. I know these cabs are incredibly efficient, that's why you can use your 125W head and get decent sound, but I'd like to hear about it running through the BBE BMax-T into, oh, a QSC PLX2 or maybe a Crown XTi.

Congrats, I can't wait to get mine started.

14. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Plenty low for me. A matter of taste though. weighs about 60-70 lbs. Playing mainly 5 string J and 5 string P/J.
    Peace

15. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks.

I can't expound on the Eminence XO simply because I don't understand it. All I can say is that the separation is super clean. Maybe someone else can chime in here...

Took me about 3 weeks working on weekends. Yeah a QSC is on the hit list.

16. Glad to hear it came out so well for you. These thing do indeed crank.

After the build, you can now see why DIY saved you a pile of cash. The complexity of the build would probably cost you about $1800 if you had a builder do it.

Once the work is done, you can enjoy the cab for years, and forget about how much work was involved. If you munch a driver, you can replace it with a standard off-the-shelf part.

17. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks

And I'd have to try and explain what I wanted it to look like:eek: