1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Overdrive : Blackstone Appliances OD or Barbershop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by i2k, Apr 21, 2015.

1. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Hi all,
    I plan to ask my friend to build/clone for me an overdrive to give some grit & thicken my sound, most of the time I use B3 amp sim (my current favorite is Bassman sim) and a Fender JB.

Based on what I read & heard on fabulous JohnK's overdrive page the choices are : Blackstone Overdrive or Barbershop. Kudos to JohnK for such informative & addictive site.

I like Barbershop clip. But there's no clip for the Blackstone. I had the original unit like 5-6 years ago, but mostly used it for guitar and as long as I can remember it's the most responsive OD I've ever tried.

So please help me to make a choice between the two above, or perhaps other alternatives as long as it is DIY-able (with schematic and preferably PCB/tag board layout).

Thanks in advance

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England

Sounds awesome in that vid, perhaps even better than the Barbershop, certainly more gain on tap.

The BJFE/Bearfoot Blueberry also has a schematic floating around, as does the RunOffGroove Ginger... so many to choose from!

3. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    Haven't played the Barbershop, but would say that the Blackstone sounds great, but loses some (not all) lows at most settings when played through my amp. I can't bring myself to sell it because it's so beautifully constructed. I even removed the Highpass cap in the Humbucker side of Channel 2, though I always use the Single coil side anyhow. It just does great, great things. I'm going to get it back out again and see if it holds lows at low gain settings. That said, I still want a Bearfoot Blueberry anyhow, SOMETHING about that pedal and the sound clips really checks the tone box for me. But I also want a Pork Loin (modded) as well, so clearly my overdrive lust is out of control... This has gone on too long, I gotta get out of here! ;)

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you're going DIY then modding the Blackstone for increased low end is always an option!

5. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    I built a Barbershop and it's awesome. The sag control gets a very different range of sounds than the video of the Blackstone, which is more of a typical overdrive pedal. The sagging Barbershop has more of a crackly breakup. After watching that video, I may need to build a Blackstone too at some point.

6. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Many thanks for the suggestions.
    Honeybee seems out of question as I can't find CA3130 opamp locally.
    More opinions on Blackstone are welcome (I've read tons of positive reviews on Barbershop here).

7. I built a Devi Ever Electric Brown and it's turned out to be a surprisingly great little overdrive. Not the usual glitchy synth fuzz I usually associate with them, but plenty of low end and a ton of gain.

8. Hmm not feeling the love here. It's ok, sounds a bit like a load of other Overdrives....like an OCD. It's ok, it gutsy and full of hair. Just not quite the same thing as a Barbershop.

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Pfft, Barbershop is overrated.