1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Patchbay

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mapleglo, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Since I'm not playing in a band these days, I've started doing some home recording. I have a modest setup - PreSonus Audiobox USB into a Mac Mini, and a small PA/Keyboard/Mixer rack.

b3lpvq.

The issue; switching mics or instruments is extremely difficult because all the connections are in the back of the mixer. I looked for a patch bay to bring all the connections up front, but I only have 1 rack space, and I couldn't find anything that had both XLR and TRS connections.

Then I found this:

25ovwg7.

Apparently designed for A/V, it had the space for both connections, with a little modification. I found it used for $25.00.

The first thing I did was take it apart.

2629zbm.

All the connectors attach to the circuit board, and run to a 50 pin sub-d connector on both front and back - that did not work for me, so I made my modifications.

First thing I did was make a TRS plate.

kcfext.

4 for inputs, and two for outputs.

Then mounted it in the patchbay.

11m59it.

Next I had to drill a few holes on the rear cover.

1jvhy0.

Drilled out the TRS holes, and mounted everything.

2n03k38.

Next up, wiring.

33vd79w.

Lots of soldering.

Tested and installed it.

2n6zzi8.

Much better. Of course, I spend way too much on unneeded parts due to lack of proper planning, but it was a learning experience, and now I have a piece of gear that does exactly what I need. Assuming it holds together :p

DirtDog, ccouch7 and NealBass like this.
  2. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Nice work, and thanks for sharing it. My band is struggling with cable and access management now, too.

mapleglo likes this.
  3. Very resourceful, thanks for sharing.

mapleglo likes this.