Diy pedal build

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chrispunx, Sep 22, 2016.

1. chrispunx

chrispunx

Aug 11, 2010
    Utica, NY
    I've been interested in building my own pedal(s) for a while now. I know there are a few sites that sell kits. What are some of the more respected amongst you guys here? Also how difficult would it be to build one with a tube? I've seen EHX pedals built with tubes liked the sound, but never pulled the trigger.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Anything is doable if you're good at following directions and you're patient. That said, a tube-based pedal might not be the best starter project depending on your soldering and electronic assembly skills. Not to say it's hard. It's just going to be expensive if you mess it up. So you might want to start with something a little less ambitious and expensive (but still useful) before you tackle a tube project. I'd suggest something like a buffer, bandpass filter (always handy to have in your kit), or a basic fuzz/distortion pedal as a starter.

Build Your Own Clone (www. buildyourownclone.com) has good pedal kits at a variety of difficulty levels.Nice pedals too! Pick yourself something that looks good and have at it.

Luck!

tracer03 and chrispunx like this.
  3. chrispunx

chrispunx

Aug 11, 2010
    Utica, NY
    They were one of the sites I was looking at. I was going to build a fuzz first. Just wanted to know how more difficult it'd be to build a pedal using a tube was going to be. Deffinitly on my to build list when I'm ready.

4. chrispunx

chrispunx

Aug 11, 2010
    Utica, NY
    Also if I want to "mod" it later, where would I learn about that? Like say switching out this for that to get more sustain or any other xyz.

5. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    Mammoth Electronics sells kits as well.

chrispunx likes this.
  6. jez79

jez79

May 2, 2004
    Canada
    chrispunx likes this.
  7. chrispunx likes this.
  8. chrispunx and FullTime Tim like this.
  9. chrispunx

chrispunx

Aug 11, 2010
    Utica, NY
    Thanks for the responses guys!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021