1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BawanaRik, Aug 16, 2012.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    What kind of luck do folks get with buying DIY pedals? Until recently I got some cool pedals and some times they had some cool features.

Like a fuzz with the on off switch built into the in out switch. I liked that.

Recently I got a pedal that just doesn't work. I guess it had to happen sooner or later. I'd still rather support some guy working in his basement and the odds of getting a dud are, in my expirence about 10% or 20%. I can deal.

Is this ball park? I go for the oddball stuff because I'm hoping the next Pigtronix is out there. In fact there's a guy selling his pedals on ebay named Ralph Campbell that has some cool things.

Just getting a feel of what's out there.

2. Any self respecting DIYer would test the pedal instead of just putting down the iron and dropping the pedal into a box and selling it.

3. agreed. i got a shipment of russian transistors and ive been testing them and trying to work them into a pedal but its easyer said than done. plus you have to make sure your buying the best components you can. i mean so often you hear of bigger companys cheaping out on certian parts and people constantly having to replace them.

lately ive been building batches of 3 pedals. keeping 1 for myself. giving one to a studio musician friend and one to my friend who does alot of live gigs then ask them after a month how they're going and if theres any problems.

things ive learnt

1. DONT buy cheap switches...... its not worth it.
    2. test transistors..... dont assume they're going to work
    3. plastic boxes are ok for some but not for all so pay the extra

4. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    i recently sold a build of mine (from a kit) to someone here and they weren't happy with the sound of it (turns out it does work, just really subtle, low volume).

Standing behind my build, I took it back and fully refunded the gent. It's the right thing to do. If it was a working pedal from an established manufacturer, and the buyer just didn't like it, I'd say 'sell it', and not take it back.

But since I assembled it, I have no problem taking it back, just in case the sonic problems it has were caused by me.

Turns out the low effect volume, which is inherent in the design, can be fixed, which is good since I now intend on keeping it.. heh..

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Are you talking about "boutique"/handmade pedals or DIY from GGG, BYOC, etc.?

Just a word to the wise...tread carefully since many users read the back and forth b/w the OP and Sillyfabe earlier today which went pretty haywire and it sucks threads go that way. :)

6. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    When you're building a ton of pedals in a month or quarter, cheaper switchers are totally the way to go. If you sell 50 pedals and one or two have a bad switch, it's a cheap, easy fix.

Most of "us" do test our pedals before shipping, but s*** happens in transit sometimes and sometimes leads/wire just happens to pop loose. Such is life! I am sure that the gent who built the phaser you're referring to tested the pedal before shipping it to the first owner. ;)

7. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I generally build my own, but I'm looking to build a few extra copies once I get the process streamlined and the bugs ironed out, and possibly sell off a few to those who can't build/copy. I enjoy the money I save (so far ~$30 apiece) but the time is starting to feel like a hassle.

*subbed*

8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a BYOC Mouse and it's cool. It may not have the maximum mojo of a Fulltone bass Drive but it has a 6 way switch that does a lot of Rats and some TS.

It's white so I call it my I-Fuzz.

9. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Since you're talking about DIY pedals and not boutique/handmade, I know of GGG, BYOC, madbean, mammoth electronics, small bear electronics, wounded paw. There are more out there...I have used GGG, BYOC, and WP. All three are great. Haven't used the others yet.

10. I answered before seeing the "other thread". As I said there, the build quality of the pedal seems good and it worked at some point. So I'm going to slightly change the meaning of what I said before to "Any self respecting DIYer would test the pedal instead of just putting down the iron and dropping the pedal into a box and selling it. In this case it seems to have been tampered with or broken in transit".

Of course, I still feel what I said is still valid generally speaking.

11. i've done of pedal poodle parts stuff. its great since if you want you can just buy the boards and nothing else

12. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    Yes to all of the above. Shipping is hard on anything. Aen shipped a full rig to NAMM this year and packaged it CAREFULLY. When he got to Cali three pedals didn't work. They had been on his board for a while before that and he checked and rechecked a million times.

That being said, I wouldn't buy something from some guy on the internet making clones (especially of stuff that is still in production), but that is a whole nuther can of worms.