1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Pick guard material/covers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by felis, Dec 13, 2018.

1. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I don't want to make a pick guard, just to cover up a rout for an extra pickup I put in a bass.

The pickup mounts to the material that covers the cavity.
    What would be some common, easy to obtain and cut material that I could use for this?

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sorry, i can't picture what you want/need --- pics of your ax?

3. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    StewMac of course if you want fancy... Tortoloid Pickguard Material | stewmac.com

Home Depot or the like will have sheet aluminum and other materials. I sometimes wander the aisles looking for cheap stuff that will work for whatever I'm trying to do. Some trash cans have pretty good plastic in flat sheets.

A lot depends on the final appearance you want, the tools you have available, and your skill level. You probably have something laying around waiting to get thrown away that would work.

BassAndReeds likes this.
  4. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Ya - that's pretty much what I was thinking. I have the pickup mounted to a piece of aluminum sheet right now.
    The aluminum covers up the routing, but it looks pretty crappy.
    I don't expect it to look factory, and whatever I end up using will be painted to match the bass color.
    I just need something that's durable enough to hold a pickup and that won't be destroyed when I try to drill or route it.
    I'll keep scrounging around.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  5. Some wood veneer? Or how about an old record album. I dont know what the bass looks like so dont really know what would look good, but those are two ideas I have pondered in the past.

BnB

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hobby Lobby and other similar craft stores will have a thousand different options. I would go wander the aisles and see what you see.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    What about a pickup bezel?
    ssmain. epiphone-les-paul-guitar.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  8. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    That's exactly what I need to make.
    I need to make it for a single (1/2 of a pair) Mustang pickup, so I think it's not something that can be bought.
    I'm sure plenty of people here have made something similar, and I was just wondering what type of material
    would work well.
    I'll come up with something. The pickup is placed between the stock pick guard and the bridge.

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you have to make it, I agree with @chicoLow pickguard material is the way to go. I have a rather large piece that presently has no use. It is pearloid on one side and satin black on the other w/light edges. If that is acceptable, PM me w/your address and the size you need; I'll mail you some.

10. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Thank you for the generous offer, but if pick guard material is the best thing to use, I can get some locally for an OK price.

11. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    If you don't need three-ply material then any 3 mm thick plastic works. I made pickup rings for my Starfire bass from 3 mm black ABS plastic sheeting. You only need an A5 sheet at a guess, which is cheap stuff!

ABS tends to only come in limited colours, but 3 mm acrylic can be found online in a wider range of colours.

I've sometimes wondered if I could recreate Gibson's 5-ply pickguard material by gluing thin sheets of plastic together myself.