1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY pickup routing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pickles, Apr 17, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've got a '62RI P-bass thats just begging to become a PJ. I'm thinking of doing this myself with a routing template from stew-mac and a dremmel or router. Any advice? Tips on not chipping the finish on the edges of the route?

What is the best way to measure placement? From the bridge or from the last fret, and what is the proper measurement for a 60's location bridge pickup?

I'm not a total butcher, I think I can do a nice job... but if anyone has a lead for someone around ventura that could do a good job and keep it cheap, that'd be nice too. Thanks for any advice.

I'm thinking of using a nordstrand humcancelling pickup.

While I'm at it, I'm also thinking of routing a gap to allow for truss rod adjustment. Any advice on that? :ninja:

2. well i got one tip for not chipping the finish.... use a razor blade to cut through the finish around the perimeter, it's gonna make a clean cut (be carefull not to slip) and ensure that only the area to be routed will be removed (since it 'physically' seperate the part to be removed of the one stayin on)

as for routing..... dremel is a good choice if you don't have equipment but it takes a long time to achive a good routing..also if you do use a dremel, be sure to have proper attachments to it.. router base like that

[​IMG]

i also suggest you go there and look for yourself
    http://mytoolstore.com/dremel/router.html

show us the results!

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You can get some advice for this on the Stew Mac site. I use a big Dewalt router so jobs like this are quicker, but you may have to make several passes at different depths to get a clean job. Don't go too deep on the first pass.

I make up a jig for truss rod slots in the body. Practice routing some scrap wood first.

If you can get a woodworker friend to do it for you it would be easy once you explain the procedure and have him look at the bass and template.