Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY plan for effect/amp rack.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by odie, Nov 28, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Mods sorry if this should be in MISC.

I need to build a rack for a couple amps and eq's. Nothing fancy really.

Anyone know of any plans or atleast dimensions?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well... 1 rack space (aka 1U) is 1.75 inches.

Rack mounted gear is 19 in wide (across the width of the faceplate).

To design a rack, you need a four sided box that is about 19.25 in. inside width and tall enough to give you the required number of rack spaces.

Tapped rails are available at www.partsexpress in varying heights. My local Sam Ash has some too, but fewer choices.

When I built one, I used carriage bolts and lock nuts (the kind with a teflon liner in them to grip the bolt thread) to secure the rails to the box.

If you shop carefully, you might be able to find a used SKB for less than what it would cost you to build and have watertight covers (I've paid $30, $40 and $50 for 4, 6 and 8 space SKB racks (not Rotoracks) in very good shape).

If you have a Sam Ash nearby, they also carry CNB brand racks...similar to SKB in construction, much less expensive.

Look on www.musicgoround.com for a store near you and for racks...that's where I've found all of my bargain priced SKBs.

Good luck!!!!

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Giant-jiant thanx for the link. Billy thanx for verifying my measurements. That is what I was thinking it would be....anyone else?