DIY Portaflex loaded 2x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Jul 31, 2021.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    So, everyone knows how few drivers are out there for sealed cabs. I’m waiting to get my Ampeg 810he loaded with the good sounding Vietnamese drivers back from a buddy and plan to use it for some of my Motley Crue tribute band shows. But, it’s not practical for many venues and I still want to use sealed cabs so, I decided to try the 10’s used in the Ampeg portaflex cabs and build a pair I’d small, light sealed 2x10 cabs. They are 16 ohms each so a pair of 2x10’s gives a nice 4 ohm load.

Some specs:
    1/2” birch plywood
    Portaflex drivers
    Just over 1cuft per driver
    One Swiss cheesed center brace
    2 1/2” acoustic foam

I currently have both built but only drivers for one cab as, the other 2 drivers are on back order. I’ve already used the one cab at band practice and can’t wait to get the other loaded.

Attached Files:

2. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I see you’re already building, but did you consider the Ampeg 210AV cabs? Just curious. I have a pair of them and really like them.

Clutchcargo likes this.
  3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    This was the first time that I ever made my own grills using speaker grill cloth. It wasn’t the most fun to do, not as fun as cutting wood but, wasn’t too bad.

The drivers don’t go up as high as the svt speakers but, are bright enough and actually have a bit more midrange and a bigger, punchier bottom and low mids. Between that and the extra efficiency of the lower impedance drivers, it stacks up very well to the 810. Next to a friends borrowed 410he (dark era cabs) it is about the same efficiency and volume, though the 410he with more drivers comfortably puts out more overall low end.

NKBassman likes this.
  4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I’ve owned 7 of those svt210av cabs. Really like them but, the portaflex drivers are much more robust, louder, lower. If I was buying off the shelf, I’d prefer the portaflex cab. The goal was to get the form factor if the svt210av but, the power handling and lows of the portaflex. Those goals were definitely achieved and I think an improvement over either stock cab.

5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I figured you’d have good reasoning for building your own :). Carry on.

BeyondFiredUp, jwindham and kringle77 like this.
  6. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Nice efficient construction and I think 16 ohm is optimum for a 10" driver - 8 ohm 210 or 4 ohm 410. I don't understand why there aren't more of them available. How does the tone profile of these Portaflex drivers compare to the Basslite SC10-16? I see they have large ferrite magnets. What is the weight of these? Thx.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Like this idea alot!

You may be on to something here!

I've always liked the sound, form factor, weight, (and cosmetics) of Ampegs 210AV cabinet but it needed to be more robust for live stage use.

Two of em' stacked as a vertical, sealed 410.....you've got my attention!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I don’t have the weight or power handling at the moment but, compared to the sc10 drivers, I don’t think that they have that 1.6khz bump. I did a rough scan with the rta app in my phone and the cab has the expected low mid bump at 150hz which I’m dialing back on the amp these days, a scoop from about 900hz to about 2khz, then a bump at around 3.5khz. Drops off after 4khz. Very much like the nv610 drivers though, those have a slightly better tone.

5StringPocket likes this.
  9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, a 2x10 sealed cab works great for me too.

IMG_1445.JPG

These are the cabs I took the 8 tens from an SVT and put them into 2 old Ampeg s210 PA cabs which I sealed, and then built 2 more. These are 16 ohms each cab, a pair is 8 ohms, and 4 of them is 4 ohms.

jwindham, daveman50, shoot-r and 5 others like this.
  10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I followed that build. Great work!

jwindham and mapleglo like this.
  11. Good work, Kringle! Nice cab from Mapleglo, as well.

Honestly, I don't see why not, as long as internal volume is the same. Single driver, sealed cabs are just that easy, for the most part.

jwindham likes this.
  12. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I’ve been using the new 210 a lot, directly next to my pals Ampeg 410he. I can re-state that this cab has similar lows as the Ampeg but, a bit more mids and not quite the sweet top end. So, it definitely sits in between the svt210av and 810e cabs. Very similar to the bergantino nv610 sound. The other pair of drivers will be here next week so, I’ll be able to here the full force of the pair, a 4 ohm load.

jwindham likes this.
  13. jwindham

jwindham

Sep 17, 2006
    Those pf-210 drivers can really punch with a powerful amp pushing them. I think a pair of them would help fill out the low-end, and the 210 on its own could be a just a bit bass shy for some styles. I remember playing a single pf-210 once with a 700rb + passive p-bass, and it sounded really tight, with an almost 3-D punch in the low-mids. It can be hard to find cabs that have that throaty midrange where you can feel a tight push of air with a tight feel, but the pf-210s do that very well I think. On another occasion, I tried a 7ro with a pair of the pf-210s, and that was a pretty nice combination too. Not the big sub-lows of the 410hlf, but has a cool grindy mid-focused punch that would sound work well in a mix. I would be curious how these cabs handle being pushed in a live setting. Also, the pf-210 and pf-115he were designed to match pretty well- I wouldn't mind trying a pair together to see how they would compliment each other.

14. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Subbed to see how two cabs work out.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021