1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Skateboard Ramp (Bored? Skate or Die)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BogeyBass, Jul 1, 2012.

1. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    6dze5h.

18d5jm.

Decided to get more exercise. Best way to do this is Run or Skate.
    Well I actually do both but....Skating is much more fun.;)

Keep in mind I am wayyyy to old to be skating. And when I was young enough to Skate, I sucked and had no sense of balance. Don't matter! excuses are for baby's. I freaking skate everyday now. I keep my board behind my car seat at all times now. Day or Night where ever I am at. I either Skate Random parking lots or return to my favorite ones. 3 or 4 level parking garages are my new thing. Endless downhill action.

This is not enough!! I need more. Decided to go vertical wanna skate bowls and wall rides. This is most likely just a fantasy...but to get their need to learn a simple transition. Basically going from the flat ground to a vertical wall and actually stay on the board....

Figured the age old 3 foot (91 cm) Quarter Pipe should do the trick....but I have been waiting 20 years to build a skate ramp. So it is going to be a Half Pipe. (basically 2 Quarter Pipes with a straight section connecting them)

Design Issues

Curve, Radius, transition whatever yah want to call it. I wanted enough height for speed, but not to much speed. And did not want to much radius so the transition would be easy for a beginner to learn, but still offer enough fun for an experienced skater.

Needed to be 2 top decks for people to stand on either side and be able to drop in. Long enough to be comfortable for standing and various tricks, short enough to not eat up space.

many many more issues with bracing, getting a nice curve with standard plywood, construction method....blah blah blah.

Figured somebody has figured out a good radius and overall design to make building one simple and easy. They only painful part should be loading the wood, Building it and paying for it.

Well some very smart people at DIY Skate
    seemed to have figured everything out already. And the suggested 6 foot (182 cm) Radius seemed like a good transition to me. So instead of going into details about the design you can check it out. I decided to build the small halfpipe. Which is considered a 3ft Mini Ramp

Just like any project it starts with materials. Visit to the local Depot will provide all the wood yah need. Its very important to get these stupid ideas in the middle of summer. Loading wood in the middle of summer is fun:eyebrow:.........not....:rollno:

2r2unpd.

2x4's for frame

2pqq1jd.

assorted 3/4 3/8 ply for sides and deck

2hfj1nd.

1/4 Masonite for final layer

2. mini ramp FTW! good luck!

3. Nice! I used to skate all the time and I loved it. I built a ton of skate ramps too. I would recommend looking into getting skatelite for the surface. If you don't mind paying for it, it will be a much nicer surface. Also, if you like parking garages, look into buying a longboard, so much speed!

lowsound

4. masonsjax

masonsjax Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    +1 on the skatelite, especially if its an outdoor ramp. Untempered masonite (light tan color)will bubble and warp with any humidity and will be dangerously slick. It removes skin in a hurry when you fall on it too. Tempered (dark brown) isn't bad, but can be pretty slippery too and you'll have to replace it fairly often.

Also you will want wider than an 8 ft ramp. If not now, at least consider building in such a way that allows for future expansion.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    oh for sure thinking about getting a longboard.

I have a cruiser board with pretty large wheels. I like the control of a normal pro deck. But after seeing these guys sliding with the gloves. I can see how parking garages are just the starter drug for insane hill action.

I'm checking out this skatelite stuff too;)

6. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Sounds like you should check out tech sliding :D

Loads of the local guys who do a lot of downhill/freeride longboarding are getting into it, using double kick decks that are pretty much a normal skate deck, but 33-38 inches long, with more longboard style wheels. Looks like its going to be one of the next big thing in skating, with a lot of top end longboard companies bringing out tech sliding style decks. Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

And yeah, parking garages rock :D

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    This place is around half an hour from me. I took these pics last year during training runs for the time trials. Google 'Maryhill Loops' for more info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Nice Nice, more to learn before that day, but I want to go to there.
    Until then...there is the ramp and the ramp is always gonna be in backyard.:D

2uegnxt.

So drawing out the plywood sides, and then basically using a 2x4 to use as a giant compass to trace the 6ft curve

29vkwme.

w8m79i.

great design basically 2 sides come from one sheet.
    Mark and cut one, flip over, retrace and then cut the other.

29uvmzq.

then yah get 2 like this

9. Duuuuuuuude, I'm super jealous. Skated a mini only once or twice and got the doodoo beat out of me, but that had to be some of the most fun I ever had on a skateboard.
    Once its done I demand vids! :bassist:

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wish I could see these pics now at work...sigh. I have a longboard I have been ignoring for some time...I miss it...but it's a good excuse to reorient my "center of gravity" (aka big fat gut)

I need to find some wider trucks

11. As a former skate shop owner, I was obliged to have a ramp in my back yard. So I built one! 16' wide, 3.5' high, 8' radius on the transitions. I wish I was there to help, they are so much fun to build!

You need to beg, borrow, or steal to get the skatelite. It makes all the difference in the world.

Pick up the book Thrasher put out called, oddly enough, how to build skateboard ramps. Their section on how to make the coping is worth the cost of the book alone. That's the hardest part to get right. Make sure you use galvanized fence posts, or black pipe if you can afford it. DO NOT use pvc!

At 32, I tore down my ramp to put up a playground. At 35, I am moving next week to a place with a skate park across the street. I put together a complete a few weeks ago from stuff I had left over from my shop... I see some twisted ankles in my future!

This double spine ramp was something we built at a park I used to run... it was killer! That's a 9 ft vert wall all the way in the back :)
    [​IMG]

12. Can I bring my BMX bike? :hyper:

13. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Ya! Way to go. Awesome cardio workout, especially if you build it up to vertical.

Made a couple of halfpipes when I was younger. Used 10' 2&1/4" for the radius so that 4 sheets of 4x8 plywood fit the curve for each side. I think I used 2 4x8's for the flat spot in the centre. Did the same thing as you are doing, cutting out a template with the right radius. Then plenty of 2x4's between the templates to screw the plywood to.

You're never too old. A few years ago my office changed to one next to a skate park. I hadn't skated in 20 years but I got a board (and pads) and headed over there after work. The skaters were very accepting of having an older guy hanging out there even though everything I was doing was completely boring by their standards today. Every now and again another old guy like me would show up. I lost a lot of weight fast and had a blast doing it! Unfortunately my office has changed again and I haven't skated since, miss it.

Get the best knee pads you can find and learn to fall to your knees anytime you have to bail. Something like these ones http://187killerpads.com/pro-knee-pads.php

14. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    As a former skater myself (Had to stop believe it or not I was riding so hard I wore the cartilidge down in one of my knees I'm only 22) I still bust out my board from time to time but, I think you should start on a mini ramp.

People always mistake thinking that a vert ramp is easier to build. It's not. Trust me I know. Plus you said you haven't skated in awhile you'll need to factor in the height factor and the relearning to fall (remember keep your head tucked to your chest less chance of the hard thump if you fall back towards the ramp). The miniramp is good because even if you fall you can always get up 99% of the time no matter what and not even have as much as a bruise (Unless you are really bad and fall on the lip).

I think you should stick to the miniramp for now. It'll give you better building experience and it's less of a big fall risk.

I applaud your b@ll$ and wanting to skate again. Maybe I should go back to it too instead of every once and awhile.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I never really skated before, but I've been using my longboard all summer long. I love that thing so much.

16. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    OK everyone dont feel left out, because I am loving the enthusiasm!!! Kinda the point in starting this thread.
    I cant quote you all but I'm glad you are here.

Either you have never done it, use do it, or still do it.
    One thing you must do is SKATE...gosh darn it.

Again Im way to old to be skating.....but yet I do it.
    Plus all my friends are much much younger than me. So I hooked them up with new decks. One of my friends does not stand well with his parents. He had some ragged nasty shoes.
    Hooked him up with a new deck and vans half cabs. His confidence went up in just one day.

34ougw8.

anyhoo cant wait busted out the worklight for late night assembly to many excited people. We were skating in my kitchen for the last few nights. My plan was to just lay out a couple of masonite sheets to smooth out my tile floor. Then I
    said F' it. Im going to buy all the wood right now to build the mini.

242brqh.

I added some cross braces which are not on the plan, plus the boards for the coping rail im adding support to those,
    I dont wanna spongy ramp or a spongy rail

17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Was looking bad, my yard is kinda small. Plus I have a above ground pool. It seemed as if the 8 ft section in the middle was going to be shorter around 6ft. Not enough room. No need to fear again I said F....it. So I tore out a section of the garden and pulled out the bricks and wazzam an extra 2 ft magically appears.

Finished one quarter of framing in a night and now, all those decks I bought are paying off. Now I can get people to do the krap work I dont wanna do.

Dig that dirt boy, dig that dirt LOL just kidding. after a stream of complaints it finally got dug out, mini ramp is now being built to plans
    you can see how much extra room came about from the old brick line

2v9vi54.

18. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yah for sure, I could use the help. Trying to do this right. But I have a feeling a few mistakes might be made. Sometimes a little experience goes a long way. Owning a skate shop sounds cool.
    I feel like a kid again we hang at the mail and flirt with the hot chicks that work at the skate shop. Plus down the street there is another shop with a good sized wood bowl. They all skate and I collect phone numbers from hot moms....man there is a lot of hot moms out here. I got digits from one and she wants to make me dinner after I told her my story about making a cool place for the kids to hang, and hooking them up with skates.......big ol boobies woot woot, thats what im talking about.
    Dont get me wrong I tried hitting that bowl, that is what inspired the mini ramp, I need a easy transition ....I will skate the bowl!!!!

19. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yes dude yes...do it. No excuse get new bushing and tighten those suckers up. Trust me my fat ass destroys bushings. The factory bushings dont last long for me. I stopped drinking soda and started to skate.
    after about 3 days of hot flashes and shivers.....no more F'ing caffeine.

Going to the mall I was always one size bigger than all the "Cool"
    clothes and t shirts. 2 weeks of skating I dropped weight like crazy. I just bought my first pair of skinny jeans and I can buy cool T shirts now. official mall rat reborn....do it just do it.

take it slow watch your ankles, bend your knees get loose and get your arms out. Dont be a stiff dont stay with the board just jump off when you fall. Your only 2 inches off the ground. One jump and run then your done. land on your feet now reason not too.

whatever you know whats up...I sprained my ankle already. Week or 2 on the brace and I couldnt take it anymore, I started hitting parking lots again, I found a great lot which had a good slope, pump like hell to get to the top, coast for days.

Adrenaline the new crack

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I need to get some pads.