1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY switchable foam mute

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ELynx, Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Refine it further

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Dishwasher sponge does this better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, not an option

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hi everyone,

I was thinking about some modifications to my bass bridge area, and at the same time saw a video of switchable foam mute on Youtube. One idea linked to another, and I though of this "design".
    back.
    Idea is two stands, fixed to body, and one "free-floating" piece with foam to one side (or two brands of foam on different sides, who knows).

Floating piece is pulled down by two springs.
    Floating piece can be rotated "foam down - foam up" by hand. If foam is down to strings then springs pull and press foam to strings. If foam is up piece is resting on bottom of the cut, which is higher than max. string height plus some space. For re-stringing floating piece is just pulled out.
    side.

Floating piece is prevented from going back and forth by cut shape.
    top.

I don't want to do a 3d render (now), because this is an idea in 50% roughness. It went from "excentric" wheel that pushed floating piece down, to three-position round piece, to this "tin-can cuttable" design.

For another problem I have, besides desire to make holes to bass and put scrap metal to it, is saddle on G string going sideways. So for me shape of holder will be like (this, picture 2):
    alt-1-2.
    Where extended stand will also push saddles inwards.

To save on expenses stands can be linked into one U-shape, pic.1 above.

So question: is this possibly a thing, or I should just use dishwasher sponge as I did before?

Stumbo likes this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Dude, Somebody beat you to it.

ELynx and Lownote38 like this.
  3. This is one I saw. I know it exists.

I wanted to do my version because it will also solve another of my problems, with G string saddle. Plus I expect my version to be cheaper (for me). Now I see it as three laser-cut or stamped pieces and some misc spares. That thing from TV will cost me more.

Mute in video has the advantage of being lower, basically not changing profile of bass at all, whereas mine will stick out quite some distance. But mine will mute strings from above, not sideways (and with a cut into sponge - from all around). Plus, spare sponge for my version is easier to find.