1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY Tiltback Cab (ala. PortaBass-Style)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zac2944, Apr 13, 2006.

1. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Has anyone ever mounted one of these on to a 2-10 or 2-12 cab? That's portability. They sell them at www.tchweb.com. for about $30. The handle and wheels attach to two brackets that would be mounted to the back of the cab. When you get on stage you can easily remove the handle.

3StageRemovableHandle.

I currently carry to a gig one Schroeder 1212, one double gig bag, and a 1001RB-II and my cables in a backpack. I have a small foldable dolly for the cab. This setup works pretty well, but sometimes the dolly I have is just too flimsy to handle the weight of the cab.

Would mounting one of these handles to my cab be a better solution. Anyone have any experience with these?

2. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    C'mon? Nobody thinks this is a cool idea?

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    That is pretty slick. I wonder how sturdy it is?

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Do you have a part number from that seller? I could not find it on their website. Maybe I am being dense.

5. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    It is under "handles" and it is on the last page of handles.

It is part number:500-2306900

I'm tempted to give them a call. Maybe they can comment on how sturdy it is. The wheels look small.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Very cool.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This will work out great provided the surface that you're rolling on is perfectly and completely smooth. On the streets of NYC, no good, the diameter of the wheels are too small and it has a tendency to want to capsize.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Exactly. Ampeg used these and GK had something similar. The wheels are just too small and it does have a tendency to tip way too easily.

I bought a folding aluminum handcart from Lee Valley Tools (Club Bass also used to sell them) which has 5" wheels and will handle over 200 lbs. It folds flat (the wheels fold inwards too) into a package a few inches thick. It weighs about 11-12 lbs. Cost about $110 Canadian. I heard the company stopped making them but you may still be able to find one if you call around. Call Dave at Club Bass and see if he still has one available. One of the Lee Valley stores may also still have some in stock.

I've carted my Walkabout and a gig bag on mine easily for 3-4 blocks on broken sidewalk with no problem. When I get to the car I just telescope the handle down and lift it inside. It's a very well made product.

9. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I use them on the cabs I build; they are work very well. The only problem with them are the screws that hold the wells to the bottom of the cabinet - they do not take sudden impact very well and can fall off. Sturdier screws might help but as observed by someone else, these are perfect for flat floors and not very good with bumpy surfaces.

10. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I figured that the 1" wheels wouldn't cut it. I usually end up having to wlak for block to gigs because parking in Boston is tough or I will take the T. I'm sure 1" wheels won't work.

I have one of those aluminum folding dollys too. I use an elastic cord to strap my cab to it, but I have tipped it before. I like the idea of having something built right into the cab. It just needs to have a sturdy handle and big enough wheels.

How about using this handle,
    3StageRemovableHandlenowheels.
    with these casters?
    CornerCasterExteriorMount.

The wheels are about 3" diameter. That shoud be enough. Since I only use one cab (Schro 1212) and stand it upright, I don't mind that the caster stick out on the sides. You wouldn't be able to stack cabs with these casters.

These might work if you need to stack cabs, but you'd have to make cutouts in the cab to mount them. I'm not about to take a saw to my gear.
    RecessedCaster2.