1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Transcriptions

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by LeeNunn, Dec 19, 2017.

1. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've received several PM's about tips on transcribing, so I'm starting a thread for everyone's benefit. My hope is that more TBers start posting transcriptions. This isn't a thread about the merits of transcribing. Instead, it's more of a practical "how to." You can use a record player, pencil, and music paper, but technology makes this process so much easier. This is also not a thread about the merits of technology (or not). Several things make the process easier: basic knowledge of music theory, loop & slow down software, a cheap keyboard, and notation software. There are plenty of options for all of these. The reason I include the keyboard is for analyzing chords. I believe transcriptions are more useful with chords.

For loop & slow down software, I use Transcribe! because its measure and automatic beat markers make it easier to analyze rhythm. It's a little steeper learning curve than others and it's $39.
    Loop and Slow Down Software

For notation software, I use Sibelius First. The pricing ranges from a $5 per month subscription to a $119 one-time fee. Using SN Transcription Software

I'm not saying that these are best choices for software, but I'm familiar with them and I'm willing to try to help anyone who has a question about either one. The best way to learn to transcribe is to just start doing it, and start easy.

2. ChrisDev

ChrisDev Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2009
    Belgium
    Ritter Instruments Team & Owner BassLessons.be
    One tip I give my students is to try to sing the note you hear first, then try to find the note on your instrument.
    The next step is to go for two consecutive notes: try to sing them and try to determine the interval. Then look for the first note on your instrument and check if you had the correct interval. If not: did you think it was a bigger or smaller interval?

This will train your ears while you transcribe, and improve your transcribing skills/speed.

I use Adobe Audition to loop.

3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon

Dec 27, 2016
    I've been using MuseScore for notation and found it to be more than adequate. It's free, and whenever I don't remember how to do something I simply do a Google search for, for example "MuseScore add measures", and the very first hit is almost always simple concise instructions on their support site. Did I mention it's free and more than adequate?

BaileyMan and LeeNunn like this.
  4. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Banned

Sep 12, 2017
    Yeah, I love musescore. You just type in the letter of the note, and it places it on the staff for you. And you can play it back as a midi file. Also good for searches of sheet music. Just remember to search by composer instead of band.

Hey Bulldog - The Beatles

5. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Banned

Sep 12, 2017
    Sounds like a good tool to help isolate the notes. Good thread topic!

6. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon

Dec 27, 2016
    Random Tip: I'll sometimes, when trying to figure out a tricky part, actually listen at a lower volume. Maybe a little counter intuitive, but I've found that it can help.

7. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Another thumbs up for Musescore, it is free and absolutely makes great looking lead sheets and transcriptions and can be customized To make transcriptions easier.

And as a suggestion for starting to transcribe - get either a Jamey Abersold cd, or a Hal Leonard play along CD that has a tune you like and start with those. Why? The bass is isolated to one channel so you can totally hear it, you will not be fighting the mix just to hear what is going on and you will also have the chord changes to work from. It makes for a good starting point to feel successful when starting out, you can actually hear the notes and match them and ta-da, you are transcribing.

BaileyMan, LeeNunn and slagheap like this.
  8. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've been reading online reviews of Musescore versus other programs including Sibelius. It's time to give Musescore a try.

9. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'm switching to Musescore.

SteveCS likes this.
  10. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    ???
    From Sibelius to Musescore???
    I am a very strong believer that transcribing for the bass guitar Guitar Pro 7 is the way to go.
    Anyway, I've just given myself a gift - Overture 5 for $50.00.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    determine the interval - Yes.

Adobe Audition - only US$19.99/mo. (!???)
    I don't understand it when you have Transcribe (a lifetime license for $39).

12. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Welcome to the club...

13. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    Why do you prefer Sibelius over Musescore and Guitar Pro 7 over Sibelius? $50 doesn’t bother me, but I hate learning new software.

14. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I've heard some people say that raising the pitch an octave can sometimes help pick out notes.

Another MuseScore user...It works well enough. I save files in a Dropbox folder so I can open therm in the iOS version. It's clunky, but it works and it's free.

15. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Banned

Sep 12, 2017
    Here's one I'm workng on with two clefs: The Bass and the Alto to avoid having too many lines outside the staffs.
    With Musescore, you can start with the Piano grand staff, type in the notes you want (with the piano layout from the view menu), then drag your choice of clefs, and it will automatically put the notes in the proper place for you. I also found the name of the bass clef I hate.........the 8va (viola?), the one that puts our lowest C two lines below the staff. The Alto clef has middle C on the center line.

Attached Files:

16. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Banned

Sep 12, 2017
    Here's one with 2 bass clefs:
    The 8va on top and the 8vb on the bottom. This will cover from A0 @3 lines below the bottom clef, through C5 @ one line above the top staff.

Attached Files:

17. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    It's a very confusing notation to me.

Conf..PNG

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I use GP, as well, mainly for 'reference'... I figure if if take the time to learn the song, note for note, it's going to be transcribed, for later... you know, when I forget it, after not playing it for months...

... working on a few tunes, right now, for prog rock project... King Crimson, 'I Talk To The Wind', live version... nothing difficult about the song, but Wetton does do a couple of cool things different from the studio version... FWIW, I'll submit as soon as I can...

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  19. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Yes, for the bass guitar transcriptions - Guitar Pro (7) is my preferred choice.
    And here is why.
    It’s not enough for me (and more than 99 % of TB members would disagree with me) just to notate the note on the screen. I want to hear it to the best of my content - dynamics, articulation, even tone, effects, and GP is happy to help me.
    As an Aural person, that TAB line helps me to work out technical nuances.
    It’s only my opinion going nowhere.

LeeNunn likes this.
  20. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks. That’s the kind of information I was looking for.

Whousedtoplay likes this.