Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY: Transmission Line Speaker Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moosapotamus, Feb 10, 2006.

1. I don't know if it would work for bass guitar, but it would be cool if it did.

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The last one looks like a scratching post for a cat.

I have no idea what something like that would sound like but I know it would be fun experimenting with different designs.
    I don't think a design like the long tubes would be practical for transporting to a gig.

3. It'd be handy, you could strap it to the top of the car and keep your fishing rods in there, then go fish after the gig. :)

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Now you're talking. You could put a lock on the end so your rods won't get stolen when you run into WalMart to replace the crankbait you hung on a stump the last time you fished.:D

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm told EA uses tline technology in their designs, and their cabs are awesome.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    T-lines are generally a pretty demanding build. Hope your carpentry skills are up the the test ... Passin'wind's EA 12 goes monsterously low and that's supposedly a t-line design. It's a big box for a single 12, but not all that big. Seems like it's real efficient as well although with is AI Focus on top there's enough power on tap to make that sort of irrelevant.

7. Actually, thoss sono-tube style builds look incredibly easy to build, IMO. And, some of the write-ups on the T-lines DIY site talk about over-the-top (or should I say, under-the-bottom :smug:) bass response. So, I'm thinking that maybe you could get away with shorter tubes (~ 4 feet or so) that wouldn't be as good at holding your fishin' poles, but would be a lot more manageable to transport to gigs, and still have good strong bass response... maybe?

~ Charlie

8. I wonder about this one:
    http://www.t-linespeakers.org/FALL/toobz/index.html

says it's only $44 for the pair, if it doesn't work for Bass (I'd wonder about wattage, power handling, sound, etc), you'd have some nice home theater speakers.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. TLs are quarter-wave devices, a four foot pipe takes you at best to 70 Hz. TLs appear quite simple but they are actually quite difficult to properly execute. That's why you see so few of them.

10. Bill-

Thanks! I thought we might hear from you. How exactly do theses work and why are they so hard to execute? They seem like they'd be a great things for bassists, but only people like EA use them. Why don't others? Are they just too hard to do right?

Thanks!

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    That's what they (EA) says on their website...

12. Of course they think anything they do is difficult and only they can do it right :smug:

But, perhaps they are right, no one else uses the TL design (EDIT: for bass cab applications) that I know of, and I have heard great things about their cabs, you have a couple right Vic?

13. My car's subwoofer is in a custom transmission line box.

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, the NL-210s, and they're incredible cabs. Think: MTD 535 chambered, ThunderFunk 550-B, and NL-210s. Mmmmm, tasty. :)

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :bassist:

16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The theory isn't all that tough, at least not if you're a loudspeaker designer, and they are actually very easy to do in a long 'pipe' style, although constant-cross section tubes aren't the best method, a tapered pipe is much better. Where you run into problems is folding them up to fit into a traditional cabinet dimension.
    That hasn't been true for a few years, programs and spreadsheets for TLs do exist, but they aren't as ubiquitious as reflex or even horn software.

17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    TFB + nl-210 = me drooling like Homer Simpson

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Here you go. A stack like this totally has your name on it.

Visualize it, acquire it, enjoy it. :)

[​IMG]

Peace.