1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY'ers... opinions on making a fingerboard ramp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Oct 4, 2009.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Okay, So my new five string jazz is on the way, and I want to make a fingerboard ramp. I can rewire and plumb your entire house in a day.... but the intricacies of carpentry have proven beyond my comprehension.

Is there anyone on this board who is able to make me one for a reasonable fee?

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a plain plank of wood that will either fit between the pups snugly enough to stay put, or routed so that the pickup screws can be slotted through the top of the ramp, through the pups and into the body of the instrument. I will do the painting, as I just want plain flat black. Radiusing would be nice, but flat is fine. My buddy works at a local shop and has Radius sanding blocks he'd let me borrow.

Or, If given the exact dimensions, if anyone can give me precise directions and what tools I'd need to make it myself?

Help me out TB!

Here's an idea of what I'm looking for, but with cheap wood and paint!!

jc7-resize.

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    anyone?

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A flat one(which you said is ok), is a simple job, I do them all the time.

Just cut a square to snugly fit inside the pickups, but instead of cutouts for the screws, you drill holes where the screws should be, sit the rap atop the pickups lugs for the screws, and put the screw through the ramp, into the pickups lug, then when you re adjust the pickups heights, the ramp is set to match their angle.

4. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    If you have any sort of radius on your fret/fingerboard, a flat one will do no other purpose than provide a thumb rest. I wasted a couple of hourse recently making one for my Warmoth, and playing on the A and G strings is absolutely no different than if the ramp wasn't there. I'd urge you to radius it.

EDIT: Meant to say A and D strings, the E and G strings are quite close to the ramp.

5. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Perfect.... Brilliant... GEEEnius!!