1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY'ing Wall Hangers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Oct 1, 2010.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've read extensively about using tool hooks to hang basses from the wall, and I think this is the way to go for the small space in my apartment where I have to fit 12 basses. I'm thinking I could fit 4, maybe 5, basses side by side between the two corners I'm working with.

It's a rental, so I need to be able to cover up the damage done easily when we move out, but I'm wondering if I had 4 hangers mounted to a 2x4, if I could get away with anchoring the board with one screw on each end, and one in the middle, assuming they're all put into studs?

I want to put as few holes in the wall as possible, and my only other idea is using a couple of expanding ceiling-to-floor posts with a beam between them with the mounts on that.

2. I have used the y shaped tool hooks for years. I put them straight into studs and they leave a nasty hole in the wall. I have toyed with the 2x4 idea a bit as well. you could actually put the 2x4 on the wall in any fashion you wanted. (angled straight etc.). A long wood screw every other stud would be easy to fill and more than sufficient to attach the 2x4 to the wall. The other plus is that the studs aren't always centered in the space to want to hang your basses and the 2x4 allows you to shift it. Also as a warning make sure you get quality tool hooks. I bought a batch of cheap ones once and two of them snapped at the welds while I was screwing them in. Also if you are worried about them falling you can get some heavy small diameter rubberbands to stretch across the hooks when they are hanging. Works pretty good.

H

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I used the Hercules hangers for a bit in my old apartment. I found basses too heavy to hang on them though, so I only hung a couple acoustic guitars...not sure how some of these other guys do it...

You'd need LONG screws to support holding a 9-11 lb bass, I'd imagine. And if one of those suckers ripped out, you'd have a bass drop to the floor and a huge hole in the wall.

I had 6 1/4" holes I had to spackle before I moved out of there, just from the guitars hanging. Now in my new apartment, I just use floor guitar stands. Not as pretty, but no damage to the apartment walls either.

4. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    You would get a better looking set up if you used a piece of 3/4" thick hardwood to mount your hangers on. Home depot has this kind of stuff and they can cut it to length. You might even find some stock that is routed on the edges, rounded over or some kind of ogee profile. You could paint or stain it.
    Say 4" by 4 feet, to span several stud bays. Or how ever many basses you want to hang.

Hardwood will hold the hanger mounting screws better, and the whole deal won't stick out from the wall so far. 2x4's are cheap but they look pretty raw and they are soft crappy wood.

Lay the whole thing out on the floor under your location, basses and all so you get an idea of how high it needs to go to clear any furniture, and how much room the basses take. Put all the hangers on the base board first and make sure the screws don't go all the way thru.

Make the base board span at least 3 stud bays (stud bays can be 16" or 24" or varied due to windows doors and intersecting walls) and then some, so you aren't putting the anchors too close to the edge. Pre-drill slightly oversize holes in the board at the stud locations, and use #10 3" screws to anchor thru the board and into the stud. I'd put two screws at each stud.

You want to have a stud finder and a level. If not, measure down from the ceiling to get a visual level, and tap the wall to hear the solid spots. Drill tiny pilot holes to test the location, where the board will hide any explorations. You'll almost always find stud in the corner, but you can't just pull layout from there.

If all goes well, you'll have 6 to however many small holes in the drywall when you move out, some painters patch and it'll hide in the texture.

I've been thinking about just this kind of thing myself, some thing I can move from room to room.

Oh, and if we're talking tool hooks like garage stuff, I don't think the savings is worth it. Plus they tend to have deep, large diameter lag type fasteners.

I'd go ahead and spring for a higher quality bass hanger with the restrainers. I want some thing that will look nice and be a keeper.

Good luck!

5. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    The big-box DIY stores carry all sorts of hooks. I found the "Y" shaped ones (with like a 1/2" diameter threaded end!) that had been sprayed with some kind of rough black rubber coating (instead of the painted/dipped red stuff). I used a couple of lengths of 2x1 as my 'rail', and then screwed another of 2x1 across the rail to accommodate the "Y" hooks (and then tacked quarter-round dowels to the sides for looks). I had seven guitars hanging in my stair well - including two of my basses - from that rail. The rail was attached at the studs.

The black rubberized finish didn't mar or react with the finish on my guitars (which range from painted, satin, glossy, nitro, and shellac finishes) at all [Disclaimer: YMMV]. The hangers are pretty heavy duty. You'll probably find them near where you'd find the bike hooks (Garage Organization sections?).

6. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
  7. Yup! Like I said get the good ones. The ones I got were rated for 20lbs. They work great!

H

8. maybe consider a piece of slot board.....a piece eight feet long and perhaps a foot high would hold a lot of guitars and require fewer screw holes than individual hangers,if one is careful to screw into studs.....it can be painted to match the decor,looks finished,and can be re-used at your next home.....the hangers look good (wife acceptance factor)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021