DJ or JO Skylines vs. Sadowsky Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Hi,
    Just wondering if these two are in the same ballpark when it comes to build quality. I'm looking for feedback from people who have owned or played both and can speak from experience. I'm not talking about tone, but fit-n-finish, fretwork, playability, balance ect.. thanks in advance.
  2. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I have owned and played both, there is no comparison, the Metro has a fit and finish, quality of fretwork which is far and away superior.

My opinion of course
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    oh,oh......another thread of those :p
  4. I've played all three in 5 string versions.... equal build quality in my opinion... very different tone and feel. I've owned and played a number of Laklands... some of the best set-up and fretwork in the business.

For the 5 string....

DJ.... round, rather chunky neck profile, rather low radius fretboard, very small body but rather heavy... passive... but very loud, somewhat aggressive pickups (Aero Single coils)... lot's of growl and bark

JO.... full size body, again neck a little chunky at the nut (that's not a bad thing necessarily... depends what you like), Lindy Fralin pickups.... not quite as full sounding and aggressive as the DJ... sounds GREAT with the optional J Retro preamp

Metro... tons of threads on these.... sound and play great if you like the Sadowsky sound, 34" scale which is getting unusual for a 5 string these days... B sounds great to my ear.

For the money (I believe the 5 string is under $1,000!).. the DJ is an amazing bass IMO
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd get the DJ over the Metro any day, any time, any place.

I think Metro's stink, so that may figure in my decision.
  6. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I wouldn't go as far as to say they stink...

I'd still like to own one, but having compared quite a few 5 string Jazz basses (including some custom handbuilt jobs, NYC Sadowsky, top of the line Fenders, Laklands), I came to the conclusion that the Skyline JO5 was the best for the money (paying UK prices). Didn't play the DJ5 as it wasn't available at the time. The NYC sadowsky was really nice, but not x2 as nice as the Lak Skyline (I now own the 4 string dude pit ltd ed jo skyline which is absolutely un-friggin-believable).

Actually really liked Moon 5 string Jazz basses too. Very Larry Graham.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    While Sadowsky's have excellent build quality I've never had any Lakland issues - I own a DJ5, have owned a DJ4 and also a JO5.
    For me, I didn't need the J sound enough to justify the extra Sadowsky bucks to TO ME. No knock on Sadowskys, just the Laklands fit my needs better - I feel I'm getting more bang for the buck. The DJ and JO basses aren't just great basses for the money, they're great basses full stop.
  8. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Toasted, I happen to think your Pedulla Rapture is a very nice bass, so do you, thats obviously why you bought it. I'll put your comments down to your obvious immaturity. I'd ask you to engage brain before operating your keyboard and consider that every one has a right to their opinion. The originator of this thread asked for opinions between basses, I dont think saying that a particular piece of equipment stinks serves any purpose whatsover and would respectfully request that you keep those sort of opinions to yourself.
  9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Owning a Metro and an NYC and Having a DJ 4 on the GAS list. I think Metro's and Skylines are both excellent basses for the money! And ecspecially if you look at consistency I think the JO and DJ are better put together then MIA Fenders. I have to agree with an earlier poster though, the fretwork and neck pockets of the the Skylines (while very good in their price class) is not Sadowsky.

And my Metro is every bit as well constructed as my NYC. I also feel, and I know this is subjective that NO ONE has five string necks down like Roger. The necks on the Dj and JO 5's fell cluby compaired to my Metro (subjective-I realize). Also the metro still has that Sadowsky sit in the Mix/punchy tone that has to played on a gig to be appreciated. But both the JO and the DJ do what they do very well and our great gigging baasses, I would in NO WAY feel "undergunned" with either, but I'd rather have my Metro.
  10. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I do prefer Roger's string spacing. Don't get me wrong - I still aspire to a Sadowsky, but my wee collection will do me in the meantime.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

In my expirence the build quality is far better on the Sadowsky Metro then the Lakland Skyline.
  12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    He was um.... Asked his opinion. And he gave it. People are allowed to dislike Sadowskys, you know.
  13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I guess it depends on what your individual situation is.

From my understanding, the Sadowsky is a slightly better bass for twice the money. If I were a full-time professional gigging bassist, I'd probably go ahead and spring for the Sadowsky. Nothing wrong with getting a Metro, and the resale value is about the best around.

In my situation, OTOH, I'm someone who just enjoys playing bass, and it's not my means of support. I couldn't really justify spending twice as much on a bass that's a little bit better. Instead, I ordered a Lakland DJ, and I had enough left over to also get a Tacoma Thunderchief ABG. For me, as someone who's not recording or gigging, the DJ AND Tacoma duo was more attractive than the Metro (though I'd love one!). Heck, I'm almost (ALMOST) looking forward to playing the Tacoma more than the DJ! :D IN your case, you might like to have BOTH the DJ and JO for around the same $$$ as the Metro, or even get one fretless!

The other difference, between the slight build quality difference and the 34" vs. 35" scale difference, is the pickups. All three basses have great pickups -- Aeros, Fralins, and Sadowskys. Can't really go wrong there; that's just more of a personal choice for tone.

Good luck in your choice. I should receive my DJ and Tacoma in the next two weeks. :hyper:
  14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own a DJ5 Skyline, and I recently played a Metro 5. Both are very nice basses and extremely worthy professional instruments. Either are Gig worthy!

The build quality of the Metro was flawless. The neck was very smooth, the neck joint was clean, the fret work was perfect. The bass just showed great attention to detail. The build quality on my Lakland DJ5 is also VERY nice. I wasn't able to compare necks since my DJ5 was at home when I demo'd the Sadowsky. I have to agree the DJ5 neck is a bit on the chunky side compared to some other basses. But it is not offensive or unreasonable. I would also say the Metro neck is chunky (for me ... and compared to my FBass, my former Roscoe LG3005 and even compared to a Modulus Quantum 5 etc.) That said, the necks on both the DJ5 and the Metro are very comfortable, gave smooth finishes and they are both easy enough to maneuver.

The Aero Pickups on the DJ5 are nothing short of stunning in my opinion. They punch, growl and bark. Clean up very nice too. The B string on the DJ5 is HUGE. The B on the Metro sounded just as good, but the 34" scale on the Sad Metro is a bit more user-friendly to my hands.

If I were to buy a Metro (and I probably will one day), I would make sure I got the Vintage tone control for more tonal variations. I am tempted to put a J retro in my DJ5 for that matter. But it sounds SOOOO good and is so loud for a passive bass, I want to leave it alone. Time will tell.

Lastly, if someone wants to say that in their opinion, a particular bass 'stinks'. That's cool. It's called "Freedom of speech." We are all entitled to our own opinion. No big deal. It would be nice to know why someone thinks something stinks. That might be useful. But if "it stinks" sums it up for them, so be it. ... and that is my "opinion."
  15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

One more thing . . . there's a sweet Dude Pit Limited edition JO w/J-retro for sale right now in the classifieds.
  16. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You can put my comment down to immaturity if you want. I however, put yours down as a cheap shot to be ignored. I played 3 Metro's over 2 days and i did not like any one thing about any one of them. Viz. I think, they stink.

Thanks, Dan, I'm glad someone sees that.
  17. Uhh, if everyone has the right to their own opinion, then dosen't that also apply to him! This is a forum, not a library! Threads like this are consistant of nothing but opinions. That's why we are all here. If it pertains to the thread that you are on, and it is not offensive then post away. If it is your opinion that he is wrong the state that opinion. You have no right to tell him that his opinions are not valid because YOU feel he is immature.

I use to work at a summer camp for Jr. High and Highschool students. I dealt with counslers like you all the time. They think that because they are older than someone that that automatially makes them more wise than that person. FALSE!!!! Sadly, maturity does not always come with age. Maturity is about respect, class, knowing that you don't have to prove yourself to everyone, and that some times you might even be WRONG or have people that don't agree with you and not throwing a fit about it! Being bitter is much different than being mature. I don't consider myself the MOST mature person, but at least I can admit it, and I don't go around picking on people to try and show how superior my maturity and opinions are than theirs! Even going so far as to try and discuise it with compliments that do not pertain to ANYTHING pertinent! who's soul responsibilit is to try and show some sorry attempt at being the "bigger person" :scowl:
  18. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Very nice, but it doesn't have much to do with the question that the original poster asked about...

Oops, sorry, guess I'd better actually contribute myself! :rolleyes: I've been very impressed with the DJ5 I have, and the other Skylines I've owned. That said, I wouldn't put them quite in the same class as the Sadowsky NYC's I've had in terms of construction, tone, or playability. Can't comment on the Metro's, unfortunately, 'cause I haven't played one yet.

Surprisingly (or not), I like the B's on the 35" scale Skylines a little better the the Sads, though the 34" scale is a bit more playable.

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The Lakland Skylines cost $100's less than a Sadowsky Metro so they're really not in the same category IMO.

Apples and Oranges.

Compare either "retail vs retail" or "street vs street" pricing.
  20. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I happen to own both a Skyline JO5 and a Metro MS-5. I happen to like both basses. I think they are two somewhat different animals. The JO really nails the old school vintage vibe and the Metro has that modern bite. For me, when I go to rehearsal or a gig, it comes down to what mood I am in at that time (except when my Alembic is a callin').

IMO, you really can't go wrong with either bass.