1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DJ5: Hello Old Friend!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Fits like a glove. If it is there next week, the V7 is getting traded plus some cash. The Carvin is gone too. I should never have sold my old DJ5.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You might want to think about just renting or leasing basses. :D;):D

GregC, jjk2007, Wisebass and 15 others like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think staying away from the bass sections of music stores would work well too.:thumbsup:

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    So the Sire and the Carvin are going?
    What about the Geddy?
    Are you going all passive with your jazz basses or is there a plan to get a Sadowsky outboard or another preamp ?

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I simply realized how much I enjoyed I enjoyed playing a DJ5 again. It sounds good and it really fits me. I never should have let my old one go. Even better, this one is 8 lbs 10 oz; which is really light for a Skyline.:D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It looks like it will be the Geddy and DJ5. An outboard preamp would be nice.:D

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nothing wrong with going back to what feels, looks , and sounds right.

Geddy, DJ5, and Pedulla.... :thumbsup:

FRoss6788 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    From what I've read/seen/heard, the DJ5's are high quality. Just get the Sad outboard pre and you'll have everything you need.

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    And your Pedulla ?

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    That sounds great through my headphones.....
    Actually I used to own one of these. Great sounding basses. I didn't care for the silver finish on mine and I got Gas for God know's what but it was a great bass.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Barring a tragedy, the Pedulla will be mine until death. Frankly, everything I am looking at is until death. I will be a senior citizen very soon with daughters in college. This go round will be the last unless I have a big increase in income.

ajkula66 likes this.
  12. I'm not gonna say "I told ya so",...........not gonna,...nope,...uh uh,...not gonna,.......I'm not ......................................................................................................................................................................................................... I TOLD YOU SO!!!! :laugh: Welcome back to the DJ5 cult! :thumbsup:

City, lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I got the salt and pepper ready to eat my crow!:smug:

JRA, Wisebass, voodoobassist and 3 others like this.
  14. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    If this is it for you, sell everything but the Pedulla. Buy a 5 string Sadowsky like you have always wanted.

You have had all these dalliances with all these basses and i think you will never be happy until you buy something you have really wanted. You already sold the DJ5 once. Makes no sense to buy it again.

Also id strongly suggest avoiding guitar stores and shopping online. It just fuels the impulse to buy all the time.

Snaxster, TheLowDown33 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are right.

Snaxster and AngelCrusher like this.
  16. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    That is a nice weight. My DJ5 is the heaviest bass i have but it sounds and plays so nice.
    Picture 040.
    DJ5_5.

Attached Files:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. movinngruvin

movinngruvin

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    If it is that light and feels that great and sounds that great and you like it, well...

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    It ain't easy being Cheesey, they say.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That’s a real beauty!

fjbass78 likes this.
  20. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Oh Doc... when will you just get the Sadowsky!? With the Metro Express line, you can get one for marginally more than the DJ5. Sell the carvin, sell the sire, pinch pennies for a few paychecks then buy the bass you want and never desire again. A Sadowsky and a Pedulla are a potent pairing and theres not much you couldn't accomplish between them.

Believe me when I say this is not a knock on the DJ5 at all. If it were me, I'd grab the DJ 5 because of the small frets and better upper fret access, but you've longed for the Sadowsky as long as I've been on TB and you owe it to yourself to stop messing with (amazing in their own right) imitations/ replacements. This is especially true considering you can grab a Sad for an unprecedented price.

JLY and Dr. Cheese like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.