DJ5 vs. JO5. Neck and pickup questions. (skyline)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, May 18, 2007.

1. I'm thinking about picking up one of these gems and I'm having a little trouble deciding on which to get. Maybe you guys and gals can help me out.

The first thing that sparked a real interest was the looks of a white DJ5 with a maple fretboard. I also like the smaller body. My assumption that it also weighs less.

Then I heard the sound clips of the JO5 and it kind of blew me away. Made me second guess myself on what sound I was actually after in the first place. :rolleyes: :D

I really don't think trying before buying is an option around here, so here's what you can help me with.

The Neck:
    What I've read about the necks is the JO5 has a flatter neck and the DJ5 is a little chunky-er

Is the flatter neck on the JO more like the neck on my 55-94? If so that would be a plus for the JO5.

How chunky would you say the DJ5 neck is?

Pickups:
    Originally the DJ came with Aero's and the JO with Fralins. Now on the website, they are listed as both having Lakland pickups.

Is this true? If so, do they keep to the original sound of the two basses. (DJ=70's style and the JO=60's style.)

How close of a cross over do these basses have as far as sound goes?
    One thing I will probably experiment with is adding an Audere preamp I have in another bass. It's easily reversible if I don't prefer it.

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Maybe I will have some answers for you after tomorrow - goin' to the Lakland factory for the Chicago GTG...will try to play both and get a feel for your questions.....

peace.

3. Much appreciated!

I forgot you guys were getting together. Wish I could be there.

4. I own both of the 4 string versions of those basses, both new with the Lakland pickups in both. I can't help much with the necks other than saying I really don't feel much of any difference between the two. I think they have been able to retain their tone. The larger body on the Joe Osborn does change the tone a little. The new pickups sound incredible. What my plan is to keep the DJ as is and Lakland will be receiving my new JO Monday and I'm requesting the opposite of everyone else. I'm getting the Bob Glaub P-bass neck on my JO and some flatwounds to really 60's out the sound. I have a Bob Glaub and I love the way the neck feels. It's just the anatomy of my hands making me do this.

5. Thanks DM!

Bump.

6. chardbass

chardbass

Oct 21, 2005
    I was hoping for a DJ5 to go with my 55-94 but got a JO5 instead because of the neck issue. It may not bother some but I wanted the jazz to feel the same- the JO5 neck is very similar to the 55-94.
    From what I remember the DJ5 was pretty chunky- not ridiculous but enough of a difference.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021