DJ5 vs Sadowsky 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Feb 22, 2005.

1. I am thinking about getting another 5 string,I want a vintage sounding instrument,I like gospel,r&b,funk,slap. I want a 34" scale. My price range is up to 1800.00. I will sell my other two basses a RBV and my 4 string Peavey Cirrus. Which bass should I get?
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I don't think you'll be able to get a NYC Sad for that price.. Are you looking at the Metros?
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The DJ5 is 35" scale, so it doesn't really meet your 34" scale criteria.

I have both. The DJ5 is a very impressive bass, looks really sharp, and with the 35" scale and string-through bridge, actually has a better low B than the Sadowsky. It's also available with Lindy Fralins as well as the stock Aero pickups, which will give you more of a "60's vintage" rather than a "70's vintage" tone. It sounds very good with the Lindys, but I haven't had a chance to play one with Aeros yet.

I bought the DJ with an eye to replacing the Sadowsky with something rather less expensive for everyday gigging--it gets a bit nerve-wracking dragging a high-end bass to some of the dives I play in. That said, there's just something special about the Sad. You pick it up, and it feels like it's been played for 20 years, and it just sounds "right". I have no problems with a 35" scale, but the 34" is just a touch easier to get around on.

Bottom line: The DJ5 is a very satisfying instrument indeed, but the Sad is a cut above it. Whether it's worth the extra $ is a call only you can make. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about head-to-head comparisons.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've played DJ 4's, haven't had the privilige of playing the five yet, They are very good basses and an exceptional value, I doubt you can find anything, even used, for the price of the DJ that is as good of a deal. Haveing said that I own a Metro and it is the best instrument I have owned regardless of price!, My past rouster has included a Warwick thumb nt6, aTobias KillerB 5(early gibson), Alembic Distalte4, Kubicki Factor and a Pedulla MVP6. All great basses, but not the"one", It's hard to explain but the Metro manages to do the Jazz thing but "more" it has more bottom, more deffinition, more warmth, and more punch. The key is to get an Alder/roosewood with the VTC, the Ash/Maples can have too much "sizzle". My friend Mike, (who post on this board as Mikebass) has a Metro in the same combo and is selling his 7000 Fodera!, for another Sadowsky. The 34" scale B on my Metro sounds tighter or as good as any of the other basses I've owned, several of which were 35".
  5. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    not to hijack your thread but I'd be interested in hearing a few different DJ vrs Geddy Lee comparisons...
  6. I meant a Sadowsky Metro and DJ5,what are the prices?
  7. I think the Metros start at about $2000.00, roughly, for a five string, not sure about the DJ's. By the way...What's a DJ? I have a Sadowsky MV5 and it's my main instrument.
  8. DUH...Daryl Jones 5, sometimes it takes me a while.
  9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    A new metro is around the $2000 to $2400 range, depending on configuration. Prices are not subject to the usual list/street negotiations, the price you see listed is the price you'll pay.
    A DJ5 can be yours new with hard case for $1200 or less.
    A used Metro can probably be yours for under $1800.

What are your criteria? Active/passive?
    When you say vintage, do you mean 60s or 70s? The DJ5 is more of a 70's vibe, Lakland also do the Joe Osborn 5 which is more of a 60s vibe - both are great basses, as are the Metros. Only you know whether the price differential is worth it to you.
  10. Active or passive doesn't matter,I want the 70's sound not too bright.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you're looking for that 70's type sound the DJ is definitely the ticket. The sadowsky sounds good, but I've had the priviledge to compare the DJ4 and Sadowsky 4 to my '78 and comparatively the DJ was closer.

Honestly, the Sadowsky is a better instrument of the two. If I was going to spend around $1800, for another 300 you can have a Sadowsky, which I think feels better of the two.

Also the Sadowsky has a smaller body than the DJ and I should be lighter.

Either way, not a bad choice
  13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The Lakland Darryl Jones 5 (DJ5) has a smaller, nmore sculpted body than Fenders, or Lakland JO5's. The weight of mine is very very nice. Around 9lbs I would say judging from a comparison to one of my other basses that is close to 9lbs. The DJ5 is VERY comfortable and balances very well on the strap too. Unless, you get a DJ5 with a J-Retro, it is Passive while the Sadowsky Metro is an active bass. Once you add the price of the Active J-Retro to the cost of the DJ5, it isn't much more to get a Sadowsky. That's a tough call. But for the Sub $1200 I paid for my Lakland DJ5, it SMOKES! Great bass.
  14. What do you all think of the Sadowsky Japan basses?
  15. No such thing as a BAD Sadowsky, They're ALL GOOD!!!! :bassist:
  16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The workmanship on my Metro is far better then the workmanship on any of the three American Fenders I 've owned!! The most obvious difference is the neck pocket, there is NO GAP, bass player magazine will talk about putting credit cards in the gaps of bolt ons to check for tightness. You couldn't even chisel a card into my Metros neck joint!! Not to mention the finish, and the contol cavity. I could go on and on. You may find a prettier bass then a japanese Sadowsky but not a better built one.
  17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The workmanship and build quality on my Lakland DJ5 is also exceptional! I can't imagine it being any better.
  18. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    they sound totally different to me,nontheless I don't thik you could go wrong with ither one of them
  19. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    My American Fender Deluxe 5 doesnt have a GAP in the neck pocket either,and the workmanship is superb. :oops:
  20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sadowsky, of course. LOL

I'm very pro sadowsky but Lakland makes a great bass, also. Do your best to play both. Make your own mind up.

I think the Sad preamp is unbeatable. Fit and finish, materials, cust satisfaction, UNMATCHED!!!

Playing the Sadowsky in a live or studio situation did it for me. Dont buy anything until u gig with one. Then you'll know what I'm talking about