Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Djavan

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 4FaTStRInGs, Mar 21, 2002.

1. I was wondering if there's anyone here familiar with Djavan's work... he's been playing with some of the greatest players out there such as Arthur Maia and most recently Marcus Miller. I find him to be one of the greatest musicians ever.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's a bona fide superstar in Brazil, but doesn't have much of a following in the US. He's on some Lee Ritenour albums and John Patitucci's "Mistura Fina", I think.

3. Yeah... :) I heard that he played once with Stevie Wonder and he liked it so much he asked to be the first one to have a copy of the album that Djavan was working, LUZ i think.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like him and have a couple of his CDs, but I have to say I don't dig him quite as much as Milton Nascimento or Caetano Veloso or Dori Caymmi. Pretty talented guy, though.

5. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Yeah, Djavan rules! :)

I am a big fan and I have 12 or 13 of his CDs. I know some albums were released in USA, like "Nao e azul mas e mar", "Lilas", "Oceano", IMO not the best ones.

He has recorded with some great bassists like Nathan East, Abraham Laboriel and brazilian Arthur Maia.

There are lots of songs one can download via Audiogalaxy I think.

EDIT: Marcus Miller plays fretless on the track "Alem de Amar". It´s in his last record released this year.