Djembe Anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by darkfish01, Aug 14, 2005.

1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I just picked up one of these beauties from Guitar Center and was so in love with the instrument I walked out with one in tow. Anyone else play these tribal drumlords?
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    How much you drop on that, they tend to be pricey around here. My friend Jared and I had a sweet tribal drum party at the local music shop. It sounded pretty good, until I tried something flashy and screwed it up because I suck.
  3. I played in a drum circle at a summer camp I went to, it was really fun. I've been wanting to pick up a djembe ever since. How big is yours, how much did it cost?
  4. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I got a Toca 10 inch in natural. It goes for $70 online, but I picked it up for $40! :hyper: It can get LOUD for such a small drum.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I want a table drum one day.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been itching for a djembe for years. Back in high school (whew, I can say that now) I had a great band director who, during private lessons would work on rhythm... how? drum circles. We'd each get a drum (I usually ended up with the djembe because I was a bassist, made sense to him and I loved the thing) and we'd play authentic African pieces.

I've been trying to buy his djembe off him ever since. His was imported from Mali I believe.
  7. I got one in France a few weeks ago off some guy who was selling them in the street. He was from Guinea and was unreal at playng it. He showed me how to play and I loved it so I bought one. He was selling it for €180, I got it for €115. It has loads of different sounds, it's way cool.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You, double thumb doesn't really work that well on a djembe.

I have/had a really nice djembe for a while, it was my brother's friends, but he basically gave it to us, I think my brother might have given it back recently, but it might still be sitting in the garage. I liked that thing it had a really nice low thump to it.
  9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I bought one in Bali Indonesia for $10.00

I got gouged.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not a Djembe, but I do have a Darabuka, which is basically the Arabic equivalent. It's smaller and made of milled metal rather than wood. The playing techniques are very similar and it's hours of fun :)
  11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Djembe is fun... I'm actually one of like 8 people in our church (the other 7 all being real drummers) who can get a consistent beat out of one...

I'd like to pick one up.. especially since out 16" is goin' away :-(

One of the guys has a real one... carved wood... goatskin head that's tied on w/ that nasty, nasty lacing pattern... it's amazing to play.. smaller, but just plain thumps!
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I got a really nice hand-carved djembe for my birthday a few months ago.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I was trying to play "Higher Ground" :spit:
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My drummer bought one a few months ago. He picked it up amazingly quickly, and is pretty good at it. Works great for those acoustic, 'coffee house' gigs.:cool: