1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DJs in Jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Apr 8, 2006.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm doing an oral on DJ culture and I wanted to talk about the increasing popularity of DJs in a jazz context. Does anyone know of any good recordings? Medeski, Martin & Wood come to mind, (DJ Logic, specifically who also did the groundtruther thing) and Montreal's own Champion and the G strings.

2. DJ Disk is on Herbie Hancock's DVD "Future2Future"(along with Mathew Garrison too).

I'm pretty sure Marcus Miller has some songs with DJs

3. There was a great DJ here in Montreal named Paulo. He played trumpet originally and I went to school with him at McGill. I think he moved to NY and calls himself P-Love. Last time I saw him he was scratching be-bop lines! If you can track him down it may be what you're looking for.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

+1 on this disc

DJ Logic has actually played with a ton of folks. I bet if you checked his website, you'd find all kinds of recordings you could use. Some good stuff with him and Soulive around.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    DJ Disk sounds great on Bill Laswell's 'Charged Live'. Disk and Hamid Drake make a great rhythm team.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out Guru's Jazzamatazz.

The Verve Remixed series features authorized remixes of well known bop and vocal standards by culty club DJ acts like Carmen Rizzo, Dan the Automator, Zoot Woman, Felix Da Housecat etc.

It's mostly a marketing exercise, but you can work that aspect into your talk: how pop and dance music function as stepping stones for fans to get deeper into jazz, and how jazz in turn is appropriating aspects of pop. Or whatever.