DL4 question for Steve

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Basslover, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    Hey Steve,
    Thanks for your advice in regards to looping. I have recently purchased the DL4 and love it! I have a couple quesitons in regards to it if you don't mind:

First, is there any way I can hook up my distortion pedal to it? Sorry for such an elementary question, but I'd love to be able to play distorted bass over clean lines. :hyper:

Second, what is the difference between left mono and right mono? :confused:

Third, sometimes I hear a little click when I make a loop. Would you know if this has something to do with my amp or volume levels, or is this relating to the DL4?

Lastly, you have previously informed me that connecting the external speaker of my amp to a p.a. will wreck the p.a. If i connect my bass to my DL4, and then my DL4 to the p.a. will that be ok?

Well that's about it. I really appreciate you taking the time.
  2. I'm not Steve, but perhaps I can answer your questions:

Best to put your distortion pedal in front of the DL4, ie. bass->distortion->DL4. Assuming your distortion pedal has a nice clean bypass you can play clean lines on the DL4 then drop the distorted lines over the top when you're in overdub mode.
    Left mono output sums the inputs (L+R). Right mono output gives the Right input. So you can run pure mono (L->L), or stereo (L&R -> L&R) for stereo delays, or have mono input / stereo output for the stereo delays, ping-pong delays for example (L -> L&R). You can also run stereo inputs and get a merged mono output (L&R -> L). This is a neat way of doing stuff because it means you can keep Left and Right signals separate through the box, applying different amounts of delay to each.

You can also use your DL4 as a merge box. Plug two basses in (L&R mono inputs) then plug the Left mono output into your amp. If you use a stereo delay with the feedback and repeats switched off it may also work the other way round: Mono input (L) -> Mono outputs (L&R) i.e. as a splitter.

This is probably where the loop start and end points have a jump in volume. If the waveforms don't meet up at the same volume then the jump causes an audible click.

Enjoy the DL4 - you can get some really weird noises out of it!! I have a little website area with more DL4 weirdness: http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/mikeandcatherine/bass/DL4/DL4.html
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...looks like Mike's got it covered! :)

The best way to avoid the click is to come out of record mode into overdub instead of hitting the end button - that way the two parts overlap and you're far less likely to get any clicks...

4. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    thanks for the help! Your answers were really informative. I wish there was a way that I could use all the effects of the DL4 during my looping experiements. There's no way of doing that is there?
  5. No I'm afraid not. Short of having a second DL4... Or an EDP... Or the Mobius software... :)

How did your gig with the DL4 go?
  6. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    Hey MKS,

The gig went really well with the DL4! What I really love about it is that I don't have to repeatedly press the record/overdub button to start up new loops. I can just press it once and then the loop starts over after the time has passed in which I looped the first loop. That sentence doesn't really make sense, but I'm sure you know what I mean! I was actually playing for the kids at the primary school I work at. I am taking it upon myself to inform the next generation of the possibilities of solo bass! Well, the children in my school anyway! :)