DM Fretmasters??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by crazybassplyr, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Has anyone tried these?
    I guess they are round wound over the pups but ground over the fret board.
    I am about to get my first fretless :hyper: and I am looking for a good string to put on; something with a round wound tone that won't chew up my finger board..its rose wood, therefor a little soft.
    Do they come in 5 string sets?
  2. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Just put a set on my 4-string PJ yesterday. Interesting string. There is a difference between the part of the string over the pups and the part over the fretboard. Smoother, for sure, but not nearly as smooth as a flatwound set.

Don't know how they'd be for a fretless and haven't played these enough to give a true critique but I can tell you they are "grabby" on my left hand, my fingers feel locked in to position. This may be the unusual texture or they may be rough enough to chew up your rosewood.
  3. Ok, no offense to Kavorka...

But is that it ???

Only one person knows anything about these strings?

Come on, if I had asked about which is better, a red or black bass, I would have about 1000 replies by now.

P.S. thanks Kavorka
  4. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Follow up on these strings. After playing them pretty hard, hoping to break them in, I have grown to hate them. They got worse over time, not better.

When I play them, it feels as if my hands are sticky from eating candy. Fretting noise is terrible and the strings actually dry out the skin on my fingers pretty badly (to the point where my fingers bother me for hours after playing).

These are toast. I'd advise looking for other strings. I recently bought a bunch of different types of strings from juststrings and will let you know if I find some that impress me.
  5. 1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have never tried DM FretMasters, but I did like Blue Steels ok on one of my fretless basses. I only use Elixir now. Coated, and they seem to go easy on the 'board.