DMA Jazz Programs

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Adam Booker, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Anyone have any advice/experience on where to go for a DMA in Jazz Studies? I', half-way through a MM in composition and need to start looking. Thanks!

2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Out our curiousity, why get a DMA in jazz bass? Are you wanting to teach?

I'm currently getting my MM in jazz bass at UT. The program is fine, but as far as teaching jobs go, I would think as a bassist, you're better off having a classical DMA with some jazz chops rather than having a jazz DMA with a few or no classical chops. Just my $.02

If you have any questions about my opinions of UT, feel free to email or PM me.

-Pat

3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I have seen many more college postings for bass teachers with a classical focus and a jazz sideline than I have for just straight jazz teachers, so I can agree with that part of the statement. However, if you're talking about general jazz studies teaching gigs (in which you would lead ensembles, teach history/arranging/improv courses, and also give private lessons on whatever your particular instrument is), then this is where the jazz DMA would be very helpful. Schools are looking for that doctoral degree more and more these days, and tenure-track jobs that do not require a terminal degree are rare.

So: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has a really nice jazz performance or composition DMA, and since they added the doctoral degree the number of amazing students (working professionals, really) looking for that teaching credential has gone through the roof.
    The New England Conservatory has a DMA in jazz, and it's a fabulous program (my alma mater, for an MM not a DMA).
    University of Miami has a great program and, I think, a terminal degree, as do NYU (I think the jazz doctorate is through the Steinhardt School of Education) and the Manhattan School of Music.
    If you live a little more on the edge, there is a an incredible (and incredibly selective) DMA at UC San Diego which can go a couple of different directions--I think composition is one, and contemporary improvisation is another. Mark Dresser is the bass teacher!!!!!
    And then, you can always go someplace like where I work: at Indiana University, a lot of people will come and do a DME (Doctor of Music Ed) or a DMA in string pedagogy or something, and use jazz studies as their minor. Such a course has proven to be maybe even more effective when the job search comes around, because a lot of schools do (unfortunately) give more weight to old and well-established degrees like a DME from a school known for its education programs.

I'm sure there are more out there!

4. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I'm currently working on my DMA in Jazz Studies at the University of Illinois in Urbana/Champaign. It's a relatively new program but it's extremely strong. Larry Gray (top call Chicago bassist, as well as Ramsey Lewis's current bassist) is the bass teacher and doesn't let us get by without keeping up our classical chops (to address Pat's extremely valid concern). There's a ton of playing opportunities around here and is only a few hours from Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville, Milwaukee, Nashville, etc...

Hope this helps some. PM me if you'd like more info.

5. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Thanks a lot for the input gang! Pat-I'm good friends with Fremgen so UT is up there in terms of choices. Jeremy hit it on the head, I'm looking more into the big picture of teaching, Jazz history, arranging, theory, as well as private instruction and directing ensembles. My masters is in composition (classical).

6. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    You'd be in good company if you became a teacher in a jazz department: our Chris Fitzgerald, jazz bass teacher at the University of Louisville, has his master's degree in classical composition, as does Tom Warrington, jazz bass teacher at UNLV (and LA session bassist extraordinaire).

7. Doesn't the University of Oregon have a jazz teaching degree that has a ridiculously high job placement rate? Or was that an undergrad degree. I thought I heard something about it.

8. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    I couldn't find anything in Oregon (but I haven't been looking too hard yet). I am interested in UNC Greeley (sp?). I believe they have a DMA with an emphasis on Jazz pedagogy. My other hot pick so far is UC Boulder (for some reason I like Colorado this year). If we have any TB'ers there, I'd love to hear from you. I don't have anything against NY or LA, but I kind of want to avoid big city life on account of my son, who I think would LOVE living in the mountains. Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!

9. Mark Simon is the jazz teacher at CU Boulder. He's an incredible player and a really sweet guy. Boulder has a great program, I'm finishing up my undergrad and trying to go there for my masters.

10. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Good to know Ted. Do you know Paul Erhard as well? I'm interested in his take on Indian music on upright.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021