1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'marzio /Audere preamp wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jan 8, 2016.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Does anyone know how to properly wire D'marzio Area J (or Ultra Jazz) pups to an Audere Pro JZ3 plate jack? There are 5 wires with these pups and I usually do my own pickup installs (without a OBP), but apparently with the Audere preamp, it's wired differently; Has anyone ever successfully done this particular setup combo? Is there a wiring diagram anyone can post? (or either just explain it in words how to properly wire those two ?units together?) Thanks in advance.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The pickups have 5 wires so that you can choose to wire the two coils for each pickup in series or parallel, or possibly add a switch to switch between the two settings. The wiring instructions for the pickups are available at http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/Dimarzio-ModelJ-Wiring-Diagram.pdf

After you have wired the pickups in series or parallel, you'll be left with one hot wire, one ground (common) wire, and one braided grounding/shielding wire for each pickup. Attaching the grounding/shielding wire to the cavity ground within the control cavity, and attach the hot and common wires to the JZ using the instructions at https://www.audereaudio.com/JZ_Install.pdf

Mike

madjazzbass and Leo Smith like this.
  3. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thanks Mike, Problem solved, I had the bridge ground and the blue/white from the input jack (center) tied in with the black and white wires from each pickup, which canceled everything out; I called up Audere and spoke with a guy who "walked me through it", Thanks a lot Bro'.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Glad you were able to get it worked out!

madjazzbass likes this.